idle problem w/b16a2 & S4C swap from stock 99 Si to stock 95 del Sol S 5 speed car

Band1

Greetings to everyone and thank you for this forum. Before I did the swap my car always ran perfect (I bought it brand-new by the way) but ever since then, I have been plagued with a rough, rich idle that fluctuates from 300 to 2000 rpms. the only CEL code it throws is #14. We have tried 5 other IACV's but no change. We have reset the ECU and unplugged it, etc. too. Car came with P06 and we swapped it to P72 from 95 gsr. A check was done for vacuum leaks but none were found. I replaced IM gasket at the time I drilled a hole in the arm to mount a sensor (cant remember which one rite now). It also required 2 holes be partially drilled (not all the way thru) for the mounting screws. The dizzy was changed out for OBD1 type. Alternator was also changed out for OBD1 type. A used set of injectors was donated by a friend. A vacuum diagram was followed to make sure everything hooked up correctly with nothing left uncapped on IM. All sensors have been checked to make sure correct color wire plug-ins are in their right place. If you disconnect the MAP or TPS the idle only gets worse. The ECT sensor was checked and swapped out anyway with a used donor part but made no difference. I finally gave up and took to a local Honda dealer. He checked vacuum, wiring, and IACV due to code 14. He first said it was the IACV but then I told him 5 others were tried, one of which was off my friend's car he drives every day. Tech then said it was the fact that my 99 Si TB did not contain an FITV like my car was designed for. I let him order a TB and FITV. He installed them but then engine wouldn't even hold an idle AT ALL!!! After 4 weeks of trying everything he knew, the dealership called me and told me "NO CHARGE" and to please come and get it. Tech put my 99 TB back on so that I could at least make the 45 mile drive home. I forgot to mention that it runs perfect on the highway (anything above 2000 rpm's). No sputters, jumps, jerks of any kind...it runs like a little race car out on the road with plenty of power. Engine operating temperature is perfect and VTEC works like it should by way of a hand-made vtec harness I bought off ebay made just for my swap. Also, we installed new timing belt before engine installation (it still had factory belt with 139,000 miles on engine). Also installed new oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket at this time. Spark plugs and wires were not replaced.
Please help!!!!

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
^Intimidating Wall of Text

Cliffs Notes?

Band1

need recommended troubleshooting shop in my area

Okay, sorry about that RonJ. Truth is, I am not good at that sort of thing. I had a reputable mechanic to do this swap for me but right before he finished with the install, he was found dead in front of my car. They say it was from a massive heart attack. Does anyone know of a good troubleshooting shop in my area? West Tennessee? Southeast Missouri? Northeast Arkansas or even Western Kentucky?

RonJ

Banned
before he finished with the install, he was found dead in front of my car. They say it was from a massive heart attack.
Holy crap. Your car killed him.:(

Describe the current idle problem in detail.

OBD2 or OBD1 P72 ECU?

Band1

CEL throws code 14 only. From a cold start engine wont idle on its own without giving throttle.....it runs rough and rich. After it warms up it will idle on its own but still rough and rich and fluctuates from 300 to 2000 rpms. Take it out on the road and it runs perfect....smooth as silk with plenty of power.

Band1

i dont have any other ECU's to try other than my factory P06. Should I have it converted over to a P30? Or will my P06 be fine for just trying it out for my idle issue?

RonJ

Banned
Diagnostic test:

When the engine is hot and the idle is surging, remove the air intake system and use your finger to cover the hole leading to the IACV inside the throttle body. Does covering this hole drop the idle speed and eliminate the surging?

Band1

Okay, I finally got another chance to work on my car. I checked all hoses and replaced a couple of them. I retightened all bolts such as IACV and TB. I then started up engine and it surged and was rough and let it warm up with IACV unplugged and my foot on gas pedal to keep it running. After it warmed up it smoothed out and idled at about 1300 rpms. I then tried to back off throttle cable adjustment and got it down to 1100 rpms. I then tried to turn in idle screw when it started surging again from 300 to 2000. I tried to back screw out where it was but didn't do any good. It now throws CEL #43 prob because its trying to idle at 300 rpms. Please help.

RonJ

Banned
Tightening bolts is not the best strategy. Replace the IM and TB gaskets and then TORQUE the nuts and bolts to spec. Then adjust the idle speed as per the service manual. You don't adjust the idle speed by just turning the idle adjust screw.

Band1

Well RonJ, I found the "Idle Speed Setting" in the shop manual page 11-102 and followed procedure. I cant get it to "stabilize" below 1200 rpms where manual states stab @ 1000 rpms. If it does it starts running rich and rough and then it will bog down until it quits. It now only throws CEL #43 for fuel even after resetting ECU. I did try to put my finger over the iACV hole as you told me previously and now it does indeed drop the rpms and bog motor but does not throw the 14 code any more.

Band1

Do you think I need to replace my o2 sensor. My tailpipe is sooty black now because it has been running so rich. please advise. thx.

RonJ

Banned
I found the "Idle Speed Setting" in the shop manual page 11-102 and followed procedure.
What shop manual?

It now only throws CEL #43 for fuel even after resetting ECU.
Unplug the O2 sensor to see if this eliminates the problem and code.

I did try to put my finger over the iACV hole as you told me previously and now it does indeed drop the rpms and bog motor
Did yo clean the IACV? If so, test the ECT sensor and the TPS. Also bleed the cooling system.

Band1

the shop manual you have a hyperlink to "Manual SITE1". okay I cleaned IACV but did not bleed coolant. will do that tomorrow.
P.S. Please disregard last reply about O2 sensor.