¿ CEL and OBD question ?

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My check engine light comes on when it rains... now I had a friend of mine check it with an engine reader and I cannot remember the code but it was just that my car was running rich.

To make this short, he moved, I no longer have access to the engine reader, my check engine light is on. I am wondering in stead of paying Honda $75.00 to tell me its running rich before even doing anything about it I was wondering if I were to buy an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness and the CEL went away, would I really have anytihng to worry about, as in would I be harming my performance.. the CEL is starting to annoy me but if it is just a dumb sensor for something that is useless that I would rather not see the CEL on.

So in short, if I have a CEL and then convert to OBD1 and it is gone, should I be concerned or even worry about it?

silvertuner98

Banned
secondary o2 sensor if it went away. the obd1 computer only uses the primary o2 sensor (in the header) and doesnt need/read/use the one beyond the catalytic converter. would i be concerned? no. should you? if you want your car to run to its potential on obd2, then i would replace it

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I caved and purchased an OBD2 CEL reader... and it says I have a P1457, which in the book, it only had P0457 and no numbers with a P1... so I will have to research it, but the P0457 said a loose gas tank cover... which is not true, because when I open it I can always hear a suction of air rushing into the tank.