◄► Shaking problem after 20mph ◄►

ekjose

5+ Year Member
Replace the the bad driver's side mount. Are the right and left torque mounts also broken? How does the transmission mount look?
yeah ima replace that. the torque mounts have a couple cracks on them but when i swapped the motor i didnt even have those mounts on and the car didnt shake at all. the tranny mount looks good no visible cracks

Platinumcloud

Check and make sure you bearings are seated correctly, when i did my older civic i used rebuilt axles from the auto parts store and the passenger side bearings were pushed on the whole way....so i thought the new axle wasnt the correct dia. and it messed the bearing all up, the spline was .004" oversized and wouldnt let the bearing seat the whole way back and i was getting wheel shake at about 30 mph.

ekjose

5+ Year Member
Check and make sure you bearings are seated correctly, when i did my older civic i used rebuilt axles from the auto parts store and the passenger side bearings were pushed on the whole way....so i thought the new axle wasnt the correct dia. and it messed the bearing all up, the spline was .004" oversized and wouldnt let the bearing seat the whole way back and i was getting wheel shake at about 30 mph.
so you changed the bearing?

Platinumcloud

yeah i had to cuz i it ruined it just check and make sure the bearing is seated the whole way back and not just as far as it will go....even with the bearing stuck everything went back on correctly so i thought nothing of it until the wheel started shaking and compared the two sides to see that the passenger side bearing wasnt back as far as the driver side, i had to sand the spline down so the bearing would go back the whole way, get a new bearing and put it back together

Platinumcloud

I correct myself the spline wasnt oversized, when they cut the spline the left a burr on the back where the cutter stopped and thats why the bearing was getting caught on

ekjose

5+ Year Member
yeah i had to cuz i it ruined it just check and make sure the bearing is seated the whole way back and not just as far as it will go....even with the bearing stuck everything went back on correctly so i thought nothing of it until the wheel started shaking and compared the two sides to see that the passenger side bearing wasnt back as far as the driver side, i had to sand the spline down so the bearing would go back the whole way, get a new bearing and put it back together
sorry but idk how to check that

Platinumcloud

you should be able to see if the bearing seats correctly. you can look and feel the back of the spline to see if there is a burr. if you run you finger around the back where the spline stops and it gets hung-up or jabbed or cut its not supposed to be there the spline should be smooth the whole way back

ekjose

5+ Year Member
you should be able to see if the bearing seats correctly. you can look and feel the back of the spline to see if there is a burr. if you run you finger around the back where the spline stops and it gets hung-up or jabbed or cut its not supposed to be there the spline should be smooth the whole way back
hmm how was ur car shaking?

Platinumcloud

eh....i guess if i were to "describe" it, it would be side to side, but honestly its been about a year and a half since it happened so i cant really give you a detailed description, it was shaking like a wheel bearing went out i know that. you can kinda just "tell" when you have a wheel bearing out, but my bearing was junk because i rode on it for a good day and a half. yours may still be good if you really havent used you car much since you replaced your stuff

ekjose

5+ Year Member
ive been using my car everyday.

but do you remember exactly what speeds it started shaking?

RonJ

Banned
I think a bad wheel bearing would generally make a growling or groaning noise.

Or are you guys talking about the intermediate shaft bearing?

Platinumcloud

um not sure where the intermediate shaft bearing is at. im talking about the bearing that is located at the wheel end of you axle, behind your breaks and tire that goes on the end of axle over the spline. my bearing never made any noise at all. i havent heard of any bearings makeing noise, unless the blew apart, which i could see happen if you did ride on a bearing long enough while it wasnt properly installed. i have replaced a lot of bearings in my life not just on cars and they will take more abuse than you can possibley imagine without blowing apart and getting totally destroyed. keep in mind tho that a bearing can still be bad even tho it isnt blown apart(a bearing shouldnt have any wiggle room at all or its bad)

RonJ

Banned
A growling or groaning sound is a common indication of a bad wheel bearing.

The intermediate shaft bearing is shown here:

RonJ

Banned
so i should change the intermediate shaft bearing?
Put an engine stethoscope on it to listen for abnormal noise and also check whether it becomes excessively hot while running the engine in gear on stands. Do the same for the wheel bearings.

khmaiboiremix

EM1 FNR CUSTOMS
ok i mean it shakes my whole car to and my steering wheel but when its not in gear and im cursing its not shakin no more