'00 civic radiator fan questions

bummerdude

My fans do not seem to be kicking on. I'm not real sure how they are suppose to work. Do they both stay off until a certain temp. is reached? Are they both in series and go on and off together?
I searched and found a jumper trick. I jumped the connector and the center fan came on when the car started the pass. side did not. I turned off the car, looked around and found nothing. I turned the car back on then both fans did not come on...checked the jumper and it was still inserted well..not sure what changed.
Does one fuse run both fans? which one is it and how do I meter it? Is it obvious with only two legs on the fuse?
Thanks for any help or tips.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know on a 92-95 there is a fuse for each of the fans in the underhood fuse box and a relay for the cooling fan. But im not sure if thats true for your model.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Usually one fan is for the A/C and the other id for actual cooling purposes.... did you jump your fan at the switch on the thermostat housing? if you did and the fan started it means your switch is gone bad.. if the fan doesn't turn on you need to check the relay, fuse, or look into the posibility that the fan itself is bad!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your radiator has 1 fan.. the one on the passenger side. The other fan goes to the A/C.

Idle your engine for 5-10 minutes and your temperature switch should turn on the fan, if not you may need a new temp switch.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:wstupid:

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

bummerdude

..thanks for the advice.
Had some time to tinker with the car again since I posted.
My problem was the jumper. I was using a braided wire and it was very intermittant.
I went to a solid wire and both fans came right on...the reason the AC fan quit running the firs time around is because I turned the AC off when I sat in the car to turn the key to (II)...my bad not knowing the center fan was the AC fan.
it looks like my problem is the switch or thermostat