00 Si Header Help... Ceramic OR WHAT!!!!! IM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok... whats better Ceramic or Non-Ceramic (which would be metal i suppose) :P ... 4-1 or 4-2-1... please explain your reasoning.. and do it in a way that a 16 year old kid with a few hundreds can understand... keep in mind im bosnian so naturally i get frustrated with everything :evil: :cussing: :lol: ok just so u guys know i have a 2000 civic si... what do you guys recommend.. i was thinking mugen but then i saw the ceramic DC sport ones and NOW I DONT KNOW!!!!!

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also i was planning on doing a custom exhaust instead of ordering a 250-600 dollar one which use 2.5in piping but mine would use 3in so i figured that would be the best bet... $100 for piping.. $XX(x) for muffler so cheapest would be 200 or so... LOL

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn i forgot one more thing, LOL, a Hi-flow cat. converter i found a cheap one on EBAY (of course) for like 30-40 bucks and it says it adds 5-7hp but i think its illegal but i dont give a s**t cuz IOWA Piggies dont check for those donuts

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well what is already done to your car? if your on a budget, a JDM DC 4-1 header will be nice touch for yah

ceramic coated just means that the header is coated to help reduce the temp of the header which aids in reducing engine bay temps. but the factory DC coating isn't anywhere near superior to say if you send your header off to HCP

if you dont buy CC header.. the it's just stainless steal (which is what i would personally get) and yo ucould always send that off to a compnay like HCP if you wanted it coated. and they can do different colors for yah . .

Last edited:

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't use a 3 inch piping for your exhuast...that mainly for turbo'd cars....so don't...also on the high flow..don't be cheap and getting something better like Random Technology or Carsound...

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ah, please dont ruin your car.. 3in is waay too big for your car.. think more along the lines of 2.25..

and from what I know.. 4-1 makes more top end power, 4-2-1 makes better mid..

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how would getting 3inch piping ruin my car?

how much would getting the headers ceramic coated cost?

i wanna do it right or not do it at all ... thats why im asking... thanks for the help

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my aem intake (short ram) should arrive in a couple of days... ordered some OBX 10.3mm spark plug wires... thats about it for engine mods... i just started working a month ago... since i just got my car two months ago so thats why i dont have alot done to it... i dont know if im going to get TURBO i plan on it.... so thats why i was thinking 3inch piping

4thengine

Acne Records Rep.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ceramic coating, as mentioned above, should lower temps. I'd recommend the coating. Whether you buy one precoated or send it out doesn't matter.

Exhaust system pulls spent gasses out of the cylinders. On a 3 inch exhaust, you won't get enough "scavenging." Scavenging is what happens when suction is created by the exhaust pulses to help pull exhaust out of the engine, thus reducing the amount of work your engine has to do to get rid of it.

Bigger wires won't do much, if anything for you. And all short rams are alike. Sorry to tell you that you've just wasted money.

skinnyjdm

Always bet on black
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BosanskaTrava said:
my aem intake (short ram) should arrive in a couple of days... ordered some OBX 10.3mm spark plug wires... thats about it for engine mods... i just started working a month ago... since i just got my car two months ago so thats why i dont have alot done to it... i dont know if im going to get TURBO i plan on it.... so thats why i was thinking 3inch piping
Well if you haven't decided if you want a turbo yet then don't waste the money on a header until you decide.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ceramis is cheaper than stainless steel and doesn;t get as hot like the rest of them said...
i would also get stainless teel..i think it is worth the extra 100 dollars...

4-1 header is better...less division of the airflow...

3 inch piping, exhaust is all for turbo charged cars...
it's bad for ur car because u'll be losing power..too big a hole...
2.5 i think is more than enough..
keep in mind ur stock tip is about 1'' to 1.25'' wide..:lol:

just get a apexi catback system ..2.5..nice sounding also..deep...

also like skinny says..if u gonna go turbo soon then don;t get anything because u'll have to change everything..

hahaha...
ain;t life grand

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
please please dont put ne more cheap crap on ur SI, obx is ok for some things.....I would personally go with 4-1 one piece stainless steel vision/ invidia or comptech header( 4-2-1 1 pc)....both are extremely well built and high quality....3 inch is pointless....what I would do is put on paper what you are going to do to the car....you will save time and money that way

Apex1185

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had both DC Ceramic 4-2-1 and DC Ceramic 4-1. Ceramic is nice, cheap, and light weight, so if you're looking for a bang for your buck, go with a ceramic header. Brand depends upon how much power you want to make. If the sky is the limit and you're looking for the most power, look into SMSP, Hytech, Comptech Race, Weapon R race, Spoon, Mugen, Toda, or JUN. Those are going to run you about $1000, though. If you just want something better than stock like I did, I personally liked my DC Ceramic 4-2-1. Better response than the 4-1 IMHO. And if you look around, you can find them used for cheap. I sold mine for 50 bucks. Don't put anything on your car that's some off-name brand. I think I mentioned all the big quality companies, I wouldn't shy away from them.

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea.. i know OBX is a pretty crappy brand..... but all i wanted was the wires.... its either those which i got for 60 or nology ones that are 150 w/shipping.... the only reason i got the AEM short ram intake is because i wanted the intake to be blue and brand name.... that and the fact that im selling my old intake for 60 bucks.... so im only spending 40 bucks really..... i am soooo confused on if i should get turbo or not..... see you only live once... so go for it.... but on the other side i dont wanna mess up my motor... dont wanna spend all that much money (then again it is a 50-60whp gain so its worth it in ways).... i love the pssshhh sound but then again who doesnt.... ppl have told me about superchargers being better since u get power right from the start... but if im gonne get forced induction its definetly going to be a turbocharger.... guess i just have to look up s**t and find out what to do.... in the mean time im probably just going to put sum AEM pulleys and Skunk2 cam gears in it..... so i dont waste my money on headers or an intake manifold and end up not using it.... thanks for ur guys's help

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lot of misinformed information in this thread

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4thengine said:
Care to go into detail?
okay maybe i exagerated... but here is some stuff

neojen said:
and from what I know.. 4-1 makes more top end power, 4-2-1 makes better mid..
yes, thats frp, what you know, from what you don't know is this. it doesn't matter if it is 4-1 or 4-2-1, different headers are designed differently to make power in certain places. so yes while a JDM DC 4-1 header is made for "top end power" so is a Toda 4-2-1. other good headers that are 4-2-1 and give great top end gains are Type One, DTR (custom), SMSP, just to name a few.

so remember it's not if it's 4-2-1 or 4-1, it's what the header was designed for.

skinnyjdawg said:
Well if you haven't decided if you want a turbo yet then don't waste the money on a header until you decide.
this is SOOO true

Blazedout06 said:
just get a apexi catback system ..2.5..nice sounding also..deep...
the apexi n1 or ws catback systems are not 2.5". the piping 2.38 (so 60mm). only true 2.5" (which is 63mm) is Type One or custom piping from kteller

racerx661 said:
please please dont put ne more cheap crap on ur SI, obx is ok for some things.....I would personally go with 4-1 one piece stainless steel vision/ invidia or comptech header( 4-2-1 1 pc)....both are extremely well built and high quality....3 inch is pointless....what I would do is put on paper what you are going to do to the car....you will save time and money that way
^^ good advice :thumbup: (notice he knows about his headers)

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Off topic*
Hey Dan...what is that EM1 crew on ur sig?

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so can i buy a catback and then buy a hi-flow cat converter later on? like would it fit alright? and if i get turbo will it all fit right? just somethings ive been wondering about... because im probably getting a full/catback exhaust..... i dont wanna go cheap and have it sound like s**t and perform like s**t..... give me sum pointerssss

THANKS