01 Aftermarket Radio

XxCivic98xX

5+ Year Member
Ok so i just bought this 01 civic and it doesnt have a radio installed. I have an aftermarket one at the house that i could put in but everyone is telling me that i should have it done professionally which would cost close to 90 dollars. Is there anyone that knows how to do it themselves and if it is too hard?

RonJ

Banned
Ok so i just bought this 01 civic and it doesnt have a radio installed. I have an aftermarket one at the house that i could put in but everyone is telling me that i should have it done professionally which would cost close to 90 dollars. Is there anyone that knows how to do it themselves and if it is too hard?
This is typically a DIY job. Depending on the radio, you may need an adapter harness and possibly a cage that surrounds the radio to make it fit. Google the specific name/model of the radio and 2001 Civic to see whether somebody has posted a specific DIY for your job.

DragonIce15

He is right is not hard to do either its pretty easy ...

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have common sense, you should be able to do it yourself. I'm sure there is enough info online to get you on track.

viking vol

Aftermarket Radio

The best site in the world is Crutchfield. I ordered a Sony receiver from them and they gave detailed instructions for how to install it. You could go to their site, find your current radio and see if it fits your car. They sell the wiring harness and the dash parts needed to install it yourself. Following their instructions I installed the new Sony in less than an hour. It really was not hard at all to do.

XxCivic98xX

5+ Year Member
Alright, you guys jus saved me a lot of money lol. ill look on the website and get the stuff from there. Doing it yourself is so much better tahn having someone else do it. Builds up the love for your car. Im also doing an 01 to and 04 conversion. Should be fun

XxCivic98xX

5+ Year Member
Okay well i just put in the radio today, all was going well. I didnt even have to buy the plastic that covers up the gap because the radio fit perfectly. So we got the wire that has constant power, spliced it into the stereo's wiring harness, and it magically lost power. so then we spend two hours trying to figure out why it didnt have power and finally just ran a wire directly from the battery to the stereo and after four hours we finally had it working. Not to mention that it was 94 degrees in SC.

RonJ

Banned
Okay well i just put in the radio today, all was going well. I didnt even have to buy the plastic that covers up the gap because the radio fit perfectly. So we got the wire that has constant power, spliced it into the stereo's wiring harness, and it magically lost power. so then we spend two hours trying to figure out why it didnt have power and finally just ran a wire directly from the battery to the stereo and after four hours we finally had it working. Not to mention that it was 94 degrees in SC.
You likely blew a fuse. You would save yourself a lot of time by buying an adapter harness.

thegreatestpenn

yeah i blew a fuse putting in my first deck. wiring harnesses are great, and fast if you plan on changing decks anytime soon