1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

01 Ex Cranks But Won't Start...Please Help

Discussion in '7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)' started by Fuss1983, Oct 1, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Fuss1983

Fuss1983 New Member

Hi all...I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I am asking a repeated question. Forewarning...I don't know much about cars. I haven't done any repairs myself. I'm just getting frustrated with spending a decent amount of money on having numerous things fixed and still having the same issue.

A month or so ago, my Civic stopped starting consistently. It would crank, but not start. No clicking, just the sound of the engine trying to turn completely over and start, but never getting there. So I took it to my service place (not a dealership) and he said in these situations, they usually start with the starter. They replaced that. $470. Two days later...same issue. Again, it was not all the time, probably 35-45% of the time. Enough to be really annoying. Sometimes I would sit for 5-10 minutes trying it sporadically...eventually it would start up. I took it back. Then they said it could be a relay. They replaced that. $90. A few days later, it started doing it again. Same consistency. I took it back. This is 3 days ago. Now it's a purge valve and the ignition switch. $260. Replaced those. Tonight it did it again. I sat in a gas station parking lot for 10 minutes and tried it a few times and finally it started up...What gives?! When I picked the car up, the guy said the only thing left that it could be is the computer. I don't know what to do. I can't have unreliable transportation. Please help if you can. I'm already out $800 on this. Thank you in advance.

2. Fuss1983

Fuss1983 New Member

As an aside, I have noticed a considerable increase in power issues. For example...and the best way I can describe it: When I am driving down the road, more noticeably in town (20-40mph), and I take my foot off the gas, there is this feeling like the car is being pulled backwards, like a jerk. I always thought that when you took your foot off the gas, you were no longer adding power to the engine, but it's become more prominent...this jerking backwards. I don't know if it is a fuel supply issue.

3. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

This^ is the first enormous red flag. A starter should only be replaced if there is a no-crank problem. Your mechanic is an incompetent clown. You were ripped off royally. Remove the starter from your car.

Your car is filled with relays. Which specific relay did they replace? If you don't know, then ask. Never let a mechanic replace parts at random at your expense. Remove the relay from your car.

Remove the purge valve and the ignition switch. Return these two parts and the others to the mechanic and ask him to a refund all of your money. Also ask him to return all of the original parts that he removed, as they are clearly fine. Remind him that you have paid $8oo to fix a specific problem that continues to exist. If he argues or insults you, take him to small claims court.

In the meantime, are you willing to do some basic diagnostic tests with some guidance? That's what's really needed at this point. Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission?

Otherwise, find a competent mechanic. Use online reviews and Yelp reviews to help you eliminate losers like the mechanic who fraudulently profits at the expense of his customers.