01 si automatic...full 4inch piping?

gudoffer

5+ Year Member
hi guys... i have a 01 civic si coupe...

its an automatic...and well i dont know i just feel its not that fast as it should...

someone told me about the full piping for the exhaust that are 4inches.

i know if i take the Cat converter out, it wont pass my emissions but if i put in a aftermarket hi flow cat it should be good.

is that true? i think the cost would be around 400- 500 right?

is it a good idea ? full 4inch piping? its just that im stuck with an automatic...

dont tell me to sell it..lol, i know but its not worth it, i just ended up spending a little too much in it, now its too big of a loss to sell it...plus its working good now..

so if u can help me out...

thanks

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
4" is way too large of a diameter. That's a HUGE pipe for your Auto NA civic. You should consider something closer to 2.5-3"

Fresh_JDM

┈━═☆FO-SHO☆
hi guys... i have a 01 civic si coupe...

its an automatic...and well i dont know i just feel its not that fast as it should...

someone told me about the full piping for the exhaust that are 4inches.

i know if i take the Cat converter out, it wont pass my emissions but if i put in a aftermarket hi flow cat it should be good.

is that true? i think the cost would be around 400- 500 right?

is it a good idea ? full 4inch piping? its just that im stuck with an automatic...

dont tell me to sell it..lol, i know but its not worth it, i just ended up spending a little too much in it, now its too big of a loss to sell it...plus its working good now..

so if u can help me out...

thanks

THere is an 01 Si couple automatic? what?!

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Word on the location. And I even think that 3 would be way too big, 2.25 would be your friend right now.

gudoffer

5+ Year Member
yea sorry my si is EX in U.S....i dont know like its a 1.7 litre and i feel like it can push a little more...

i dont know how big the piping on stock is ...but i was just wanting to get just a little more power. or something without turbo...

i know its an automatic but unfortunately...i loved the car from the day i bought it and it was sort of a gift from dad who got me an automatic...so been thru alot of money on it and it runs good now just lacks some power....

any opinion? other then to turbo it or sell it... lol ...?

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
4" is overkill like what people say. You don't even need 3" unless you are on a high boost. 2.25 - 2.5 is good. What I will recommend you doing is to go to Lube Control Inc and get FP 60 Starter Kit. This kit includes LC20 and FP60. Pour 1oz of LC20 to each qt of oil you put into your engine during an oil change. 3.7 qt of oil is what you want in your engine, which means you should put 3.5oz of LC20 along with your engine oil. 3.7oz if you really want to be exact. Then, on every gas station trip. You should put 1oz of FP60 to each 5 gallons of gas that you put into your gas tank. So if you are putting 10 gallons of gas into the tank, you should put 2oz of FP60 prior filling up the gas tank. Your gas tank can only hold 13.3 gallons worth of fuel. So I would just use 2oz.

From what I have heard, those stuff really does work. It helps improving mpg and some even say the car is running better when it was new.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The reason you increase exhaust size is to relieve backpressure in the exhaust. The exhaust gases fill the pipe, and the newly formed gases cannot escape the vehicle in an efficient manner. You want your engine to run as efficiently as possible in order to create the most power.

Now if the pipe ends up being too big, it can also hinder the flow, by decreasing the velocity at which the exhaust gas is pushed from the vehicle. This gives the gas an opportunity to swirl, and move in other directions aside from being propelled directly out of the exhuast. This can cause a counter-force between the newly escaping exhaust gases and the slightly older exhaust gases. Long story short, the laws of physics get in the way.

I hope I was able to explain that adequately.

You want a pipe that is wide enough for all of the gas to escape at once, but not so wide that it loses velocity as it heads towards the outside world.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how is lube control going to give you better performance you can do the same thing by getting a oil change .

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
He said it's not going as fast as he feels it should. So it made me believe something in the engine is preventing the engine giving its 100% performance. Which is why I say start with Lube Control first and go from there. Lube Control and oil change isn't exactly the same thing.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would get a basic tune up before i started paying for magic engine additives.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
For once, I agree with lowlife. I would rather do a tune-up before adding lubes and s**t. And yea its $25......for the first order. But you throw that s**t in all the time and that $25 adds up.