02 EX Auto motor, ECU, wiring harness swapped into 02 LX Manual Questions.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
I have a 02 LX coupe with a manual transmission. My motor blew up about a week ago. I drove to dighton, MA from texas and brought back a salvage titled 02 EX coupe with an automatic transmission. I intend on using the motor, ECU, and wiring harness from the EX to put on my LX.

I am wondering are there any problems I might run into since mine is a manual and the EX is automatic.

Also should I use the EX auto or LX manual, I am guessing the manual but I do not know how that will work with the EX ECU. Is the EX ECU specific for an auto or manual transmission or should it all bolt up, wire up and run normal?

I am doing the swap in about 2 or 3 days so I need to know if I need any thing else or what problems I might run into.

Should I get a shop manual or will a haynes book for my car work. my friend that is helping has done an engine swap or two on other vehicles, but I have never done an engine swap. Please give me y'alls expert opinions!

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, you could've done this, but wiki says the LX isn't VTEC, and the EX is. So not only do you need an EX manual ECU, you'll probably have to wire up the VTEC solenoid. I had to do it when I dropped a B18C1 into my 92 hatch, but I imagine the wiring is something different, so you'll have to look that up.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
The LX in USA has the D17a1 which is not a v-tec. The EX in USA has the D17a2 which is V-tec, it has 12 more hp stock.

I know now, I need a D17a2 manual transmission ECU and EX manual wiring harness. Any help on which #37820-XXX-XXX ECU to use would be very helpful and most appreciated.