02 Si suspension question

culumbo79

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want to lower my stock 02 Si hb. I dont have money for coilovers but i do want to fill in the wheel gap pretty good with stock 15's (cant afford new wheels). I want to know what springs to buy if i want to keep my stock struts. any suggestions would help considering i dont have any friends with civics. They all have volkswagons and dont know anything about hondas. Just lemme know if you have a lowered Si and what you bought. I figure im probably gonna have to get new struts as well as springs if i want a decent drop. thanks

civicvtec1ps

7thgencivic.com Mod
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really depends how much you want to lower your si.
I have tein s tech springs and drop is dead even all around.
of course, performance sucks on stock shocks but this is good enough until i can afford to go with fullcoilover setup.

wipperlint72

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civicvtec1ps said:
Really depends how much you want to lower your si.
I have tein s tech springs and drop is dead even all around.
of course, performance sucks on stock shocks but this is good enough until i can afford to go with fullcoilover setup.

Yea but arent you afraid that in like a year your stock struts are just gonna be totally blown? Cause i do want to lower my car like 1.75 or 2 inches, but that will probably put a lotta stress on the stock struts. i dont want my car to start sinking.

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have Tein High Techs on my 00 EM1 (SiR)

It is lowered 1.3 Front and 1.0 Rear.

I don't know if Tein makes them for the new SI's though. 6th Gen's are easier and cheaper to lower due to the front double wishbone suspension.

I have had it lowered since September on stock struts. One of my rear ones started leaking so I replaced both rears with KYB GR2's. I am still running the stock struts up front with no problem

If you are looking at the 1.75 or 2 inches you will need a Strut and Spring combo or Coilovers guaranteed

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my boy put skunk2 coilovers on his si...ride is ok considerin it's nicely dropped. just make sure they keep the bump stop on there...it stops it from bottomin out.

mirahe

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don´t have money , the best solution is extract the spring and cut 1 + 1/2 coil , then you will decrease the free length of your spring in more or less 20 mm , increasing a litlle bit the rigidity of the spring .

You can make this in the front and in the rear if your springs are cilindrical , if the springs make a cone then is much better to don´t make this.

The cut of the springs is maded in a workshop cutting with gas (oxigen+acetylene) then in hot make the flat surface of the spring and put quickly in water to don´t lose strength.

Good luck , at finally if you don´t like the result you can buy a new ones , but if you make the modification correctly you will improve a litlle bit the rigidity and your center of gravity.