'05 7th gen Honda Civic - oil leak, new cam belt???

Alpine

5+ Year Member
My father in-law's '05 7th gen Civic with 50,000km on the clock yesterday started flashing the oil indicator light on the dash. Then it was discovered the oil was all leaking out onto the ground. The dipstick showed massive loss of oil even after topping up.

The vehicle was then taken to Ultratune where they did the following work and charged $500 to fix the problem:

Now my questions. I believe this is extremely rare for a Honda (or any modern car for that matter) with such low mileage and overall "young" age of the car to start leaking oil and throw a cam belt?? Can this happen? What could cause this? It just seems premature to me, that's all.

I might add that the vehicle was just serviced at the same Ultratune two weeks ago for the 50,000km service...

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they replaced a cranckshaft oil seal which they have to take damn near everything off he crank on that side and replace the end seal. They took off the gear that has the timing belt on it and if your already in there you might as well replace it. its called preventative maintenance

Alpine

5+ Year Member
But can it be common for a crankshaft oil seal to fail on such a low mileage car??? Or could it be due to the wrong oil used or some other human error or servicing neglect? I'm just wondering how this could happen.