'05 Civic hot air issue

Jamie Kenny

Good Afternoon!

I drive Honda Civic Coupe 2005,

As of yesterday, I noticed my car was only blowing cold air oppose to hot air...
HOWEVER: when I drive over 60km (on the highway) the car will blow hot air...however when I am driving in the city (under 60km) the car will only blow cold air...

Any advance??

I have been told the thermostat...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tweaked your title to be to the point, and I moved it into the correct section as this is not a DIY.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you sure your AC is not simply set on the fresh air setting with the AC compressor button off? That would just bring in heat from the engine. If the AC compressor is on and set on recirculate then the heater core will engage and blow hot air.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Clogged heater core or air in the coolant system can cause that to happen as well.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Clogged heater core or air in the coolant system can cause that to happen as well.
Agreed, but you and I both know that theres the rare chance he may just not have the buttons set properly.

Jamie Kenny

I tweaked your title to be to the point, and I moved it into the correct section as this is not a DIY.

How do I know what setting my AC is on?
The AC button in the car is off.

How do I know my buttons are set properly?

Last edited by a moderator:

dancam

Registered VIP
Have you checked your coolant level? Have you checked your cabin air filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My point proven, @XpL0d3r . :nod:

How do I know what setting my AC is on?
The AC button in the car is off.
How do I know my buttons are set properly?
Do as I suggested already (copied below)

Are you sure your AC is not simply set on the fresh air setting with the AC compressor button off? That would just bring in heat from the engine. If the AC compressor is on and set on recirculate then the heater core will engage and blow hot air.
Fresh air is the crossing wind (X) looking symbol while recirculated air is the arrow in a circle.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Agreed, but you and I both know that theres the rare chance he may just not have the buttons set properly.
I don't think that would matter though, to be honest. Regardless of that setting, if the air isn't coming out hot (assuming it is set to hot), there is another problem. I never, not even once, have used the recirculate button in my cars; I always have it set to fresh. It's 25* with a feels like of 10* currently, and my car blows hot air just fine once it gets up to operating temp.

Using the recirculating air in cold weather is actually bad, because the system retains moisture, that increases due to people breathing inside the car. This will eventually cause the windows to fog up.

@Jamie Kenny , if you're in Kingston, ON, you're just over the pond from me!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good point. Ive personally always used the heat with the air set of fresh just to take advantage of the engine heat. Lets see what hes doing though. Us assuming doesnt help anyone.