'05 Civic Temp Fluctuates

sechop

I've been having trouble with my wife 05 Honda Civic. Her car overheated a few months back so I changed the thermostat in her car. I thought that fixed the problem for a week or two, but on a trip downtown (around 40 miles) her car started to act up. The temp would red line and we would immediately turn the heat on high. The gauge would go back down to normal temp range. After a few minutes the heater would begin to blow cold air and the thermostat would red line again. It did this the entire way home. We we got home I noticed that coolant was all over the passenger side of the engine compartment. The next day i took the car to a mechanic and he spent two days looking and said he could not find anything. I know he let it run for a long time because the gas was half empty. No overheating. Its been a few weeks with no problem until today. We drove for 40 or less miles and it started to do it again. I've searched every inch of this car and can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated. It sucks cause the car only has 112000 miles and I'm ready to scrap it haha.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Does the temperature only rise when you come to a stop? If so the fan is most likely not coming on. This could be the fault of a bad fan switch, fan or power/ground to the fan. Change out the thermostat again, could be faulty.

sechop

Does the temperature only rise when you come to a stop? If so the fan is most likely not coming on. This could be the fault of a bad fan switch, fan or power/ground to the fan. Change out the thermostat again, could be faulty.
Negative does it while driving after a certain amount of time.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you got a cheap brand thermostat then that may be the issue, or you.just randomly got a dud. Have you been losing coolant? Have you considered changing the temperature sensor. Perhaps it has a failing internal resistor that heats up too much during long drives.

I also tweaked your title to include your year & model to attract more help.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you got a cheap brand thermostat then that may be the issue, or you.just randomly got a dud. Have you been losing coolant? Have you considered changing the temperature sensor. Perhaps it has a failing internal resistor that heats up too much during long drives.
This. I've seen people replace T-stats and get a dud right out of the box too. It happens.

dancam

Registered VIP
Ya, the honda thermostat is $40 here, which is stupid but worked for me. I had 2 new stant thermostats in a row not work right out of the box on another car and the third didnt work properly but i decided to just deal with it. Go oem on this. Its a weird setup where the thermostat is on these cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ya, the honda thermostat is $40 here, which is stupid but worked for me. I had 2 new stant thermostats in a row not work right out of the box on another car and the third didnt work properly but i decided to just deal with it. Go oem on this. Its a weird setup where the thermostat is on these cars

$40?! :shock: Jesus H

dancam

Registered VIP
$40?! :shock: Jesus H
I hate the dealership. Its like $25 or $30 for a jug of premix coolant, they dont sell concentrate, dont sell fuel filters even though they are a separate part... I dont go there often but every time i do i shake my head at the people who go there for everything.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I hate the dealership. Its like $25 or $30 for a jug of premix coolant, they dont sell concentrate, dont sell fuel filters even though they are a separate part... I dont go there often but every time i do i shake my head at the people who go there for everything.

Yeah I hear you there. Went to the dealership for some bolt a few years back... it was like $9 for a maybe 3" long bolt with some goofy thread pitch. Damn stealerships!