05 gauge cluster

techlogic31

5+ Year Member
i have a 2005 dx value package coupe(yea i know) and i hate not having a tachometer, can i switch the cluster from a LX or Ex by simply plug and play the thing. and i was wondering since it has a digital display for the mileage it should display mine after pluging it in?

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The Odometer millage stays on the cluster gauges itself, it doesn't go away or change when you put one from another car, meaning you cannot modify to have correct milage at all, not even from a honda dealership. So whatever the gauges had when they were taken off it'll display what it had before in any car.

I had to get a new cluster because mine was defective and had it replaced for free (TSB), so my new one said 000000 lol

if you get 03-05 clusterfrom the lx or ex it should plug right in.

firetyphoon1

5+ Year Member
well does an 04-05 cluster work on my 01??
im looking to buy a new one.. and i thought u can get it reverted somehow to match my milage?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The 03-05 gauge clusters are differant than the 01-02 gauge clusters, Im not sure if it will work. And you cant roll back the digital display clusters, only the ones that manually crank.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well does an 04-05 cluster work on my 01??
im looking to buy a new one.. and i thought u can get it reverted somehow to match my milage?

Different wiring.

Snake_shit had a DIY on the 04-05 cluster gauge install for an 01
i believe.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea you need to rewire the plugs to go from an 01 cluster of any kind to one that is an 03-05 cluster. IMO the best looking one is the 03EX one.. the red one.

the difference between the VP cluster with no tach and the EX one. is simply the tach and the ABS light.

search this forum... my DIY is here prolly about 4-5 pages back

Dulce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
... And you cant roll back the digital display clusters, only the ones that manually crank.
I'm not entirely sure, but you might be able to send it out and have it rolled back but I'm not for sure. You can send it out and have the mileage matched, thats what I did with mine when I accidentally messed it up and had to get a new one, lol. Just look for one that has lower mileage on it already, or I think you can go to the BMV and they will notorize something that will say the mileage is so many miles off or something, but I am not entirely sure on that either, lol.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where did you get your cluster milage matched????? more info please. i have to add 33000 miles to whatever mine has on it.

Dulce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where did you get your cluster milage matched????? more info please. i have to add 33000 miles to whatever mine has on it.
I actually took it to the dealership and they sent it out somewhere. I think it was around $100, I was kind of mad because they never told me how much it was or would be until they got it back and charged me for it or else I probably wouldn't have done it. But the one I bought had like 10,xxx and mine had like 120,xxx or more so it also took a while to get it back.

firetyphoon1

5+ Year Member
I actually took it to the dealership and they sent it out somewhere. I think it was around $100, I was kind of mad because they never told me how much it was or would be until they got it back and charged me for it or else I probably wouldn't have done it. But the one I bought had like 10,xxx and mine had like 120,xxx or more so it also took a while to get it back.
Wow that helps b/c i need to buy a new one and the it has like unknown miles and i have 54K so i needed it matched but idk if they could have changed it or not? Its around $100? and do u have to buy a new one or was that for a new one and to match milage?

Dulce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow that helps b/c i need to buy a new one and the it has like unknown miles and i have 54K so i needed it matched but idk if they could have changed it or not? Its around $100? and do u have to buy a new one or was that for a new one and to match milage?
I just went to a junk yard and bought one for I think it was around $20 or so, but the only thing is I don't know if they can roll it back. They never mentioned anything about it and I didn't need them to so I don't know. I think they hook it up to a machine that acts as the transmission or something like that and they manually add the mileage that way. Just get one off eBay with the mileage under what you have or go find a decent one at a junk yard, and go to your local Honda dealership and talk to them about it.

firetyphoon1

5+ Year Member
I just went to a junk yard and bought one for I think it was around $20 or so, but the only thing is I don't know if they can roll it back. They never mentioned anything about it and I didn't need them to so I don't know. I think they hook it up to a machine that acts as the transmission or something like that and they manually add the mileage that way. Just get one off eBay with the mileage under what you have or go find a decent one at a junk yard, and go to your local Honda dealership and talk to them about it.
Well i found this one/ but i need the milage to match mines. so i could take this to a dealer?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-HONDA-CIVIC-SPEEDOMETER-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33675QQihZ021QQitemZ310006495142QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Dulce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea, that one should work, but the seller is wrong because the mileage from the car it was taken from will stay on the cluster and not change due to the computer. But yea if the mileage is under take it to your dealer and talk to them about getting it matched. I am not completely sure if they can roll it back because I never really talked to them about that. But my suggestion is go to a junkyard first and see if they have any because they will almost always be cheaper. The only bad thing is some lights may stay on from the previous car because of the wreck or damage it has or they may come on because you might not have those options in your car like ABS or something like that.

firetyphoon1

5+ Year Member
Yea, that one should work, but the seller is wrong because the mileage from the car it was taken from will stay on the cluster and not change due to the computer. But yea if the mileage is under take it to your dealer and talk to them about getting it matched. I am not completely sure if they can roll it back because I never really talked to them about that. But my suggestion is go to a junkyard first and see if they have any because they will almost always be cheaper. The only bad thing is some lights may stay on from the previous car because of the wreck or damage it has or they may come on because you might not have those options in your car like ABS or something like that.
Ohh so they might be able to change the mileage? if not they WILL ship it out to get matched right? yeah the junk yard had old gauges haha but yeah the thing is my needles messed up lol tryna put on gauges and now i need a new cluster and I liked how the one on ebay was white faced. but my only concern was gettin the milage to match what i have on it now which is 54K

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sorry you CANNOT get it matched to the exact millage even at a dealership without messing/hacking with it internally yourself. ( i said this in this page, read dammit.)

The dealer might give you a sticker or tab to put on the door jam of the exact milage, which says "removal of this sticker is against the law"

Dulce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry you CANNOT get it matched to the exact millage even at a dealership without messing/hacking with it internally yourself. ( i said this in this page, read dammit.)

The dealer might give you a sticker or tab to put on the door jam of the exact milage, which says "removal of this sticker is against the law"
Then how did I get mine matched. I said I wasn't so sure about them taking it back, but they can match the mileage if your new cluster has less than how many miles you have on your car. My new cluster had 10,xxx and they matched it to 120,xxx. But they do have to send it out to get matched, they don't do it at the dealership itself.

firetyphoon1

5+ Year Member
Then how did I get mine matched. I said I wasn't so sure about them taking it back, but they can match the mileage if your new cluster has less than how many miles you have on your car. My new cluster had 10,xxx and they matched it to 120,xxx. But they do have to send it out to get matched, they don't do it at the dealership itself.
ok see this is where i get confused because i hear alot of different stories, they can match but just not at the dealership but some people said it cant be done?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rarely can dealerships send the cluster to a company to reprogram. usually they just put a sticker in the door saying it was replaced. there is a company you can send it to for $150 if you want i can search the address. they have the expensive machine that can plug in and do whatever with it including reflashing the rom chip.

as for the op question, 01-05 dx/vp can swap with any 01-02 lx/ex cluster with tach no problem. but if you want the newer style 03-05 lx/ex with LED lights, you have to rewire the connectors (they still plug in, but the wiring needs to be re-pinned). i have the diagrams somewhere... i did the swap, its easy. just unplug the battery first lol

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gearbox = the man when it comes to DIY.

i followed his DIY on this swap to the T and it was just fine.