09 Si muffler on 96 EX?

So How does it sound?

• Bad, should have stuck with stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wtf is that crap?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nagasaki

Hey guys, I just got myself a 1996 EX coupe a few weeks ago. My friend has an 09 Si that he recently put a different muffler on. I made sure he kept the stock muffler and he gave it to me since he doesn't need it. This muffler has about 7500 miles on it and had a good sound to it on his 2.0 (K20?). I don't want a racket maker or anything, but maybe just a little louder, deeper, etc. would be nice. My question is: Would this muffler do anything for my d16y8? Would it be louder than my stock one? Does it flow better than my stock one, therefore giving a little more power? A muffler shop would install it for me for $40 so is it even worth putting it on or will it just sound and feel the exact same?

I plan to get a header soon, so would the si muffler go good in conjunction?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
id do it since its free, anything is better than the factory straw they put on that model civic

Nagasaki

That's what I was thinking. $40 isn't a bad price for a new muffler. Plus, I'm thinking honda had to have made the 09 si muffler flow better than the 96 ex stocker.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have one off an 07 si on my sol.... my exhaust piping was already 2.25" so it worked nicely sounds ok i guess but i dont know about those single cammers.....

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if its just the axle back muffler then it wont change your performance at all, not for better or worse. Performance will stay the same. it will just change the pitch of your car. the muffler might be wider than your piping, but your piping is acting like a bottleneck.

Nagasaki

Ok, what would be an ideal piping size for my little d16? I am assuming it has 1.75 right now. My muffler shop can do anything for a low price, so I might be able to get them to go with a 2.25 or so for only a few extra while they're installing the muffler, or is 2.25 too big?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
go with whatever size the muffler inlet piping is, that is if you dont plan to upgrade the muffler in the future. otherwise 2.25 is good for a stock motor. but again, all piping, including cat converter and resonators, should all be the same size or you will still have a bottle neck effect

Last edited:

Nagasaki

Ok, that'll do. I'm pretty sure the si muffler inlet is 2.25. I most likely won't be upgrading the muffler after I get the si one on. I don't like obnoxiously loud mufflers and that's all I seem to hear on civics around my area.

Nagasaki

I got the muffler installed about an hour ago. It is exactly as I wanted. At idle, it is barely louder than stock. When you rev it up and when you are accelerating, you can definitely hear the difference. There is no drone at highway speed, but you can tell there is a louder muffler on the car. No rice at all in it. No raspiness that you hear on those ricemobiles. Plus, it looks 10X better with the Si muffler tip and it's all honda parts.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cool beans, i myself like loud civics -shrug,guess im a ricer lol

Nagasaki

How did it affect the butt-dyno?
My butt dyno is incredibly optimistic when adding any mod to a car. I think I could actually feel an increase in power if I put a sticker on. LOL So I will be real with you on this one. No power change in either direction. Just a noise change.

After I get off work today, I'll get some youtube video uploads started up.

Oh, and r3dline5.0: I don't think all loud civics are ricermobiles, though there is a fine line. My friend's 09 Si is loud but sounds oh so good. I'm sure you got good taste in loud, since you do own a V8, correct? :D