1.5 Vtec-e Or B16 Vtec

fronx

Because of Weight and other Factors what motor do you think would perform better in a 92 Eg Hatch?

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
You will love the power of the b16, but the fuel economy will be way better with the D.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16 and d16 fuel economy would be about the same engine wise. It's all about the transmission in that case. I'd say b16 over d16 all day, weight difference is negligible with the 30hp increase after vtec, so unless you plan on boosting b16 is definitely the way to go.

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
^^^ yea what this guy said 30 hp if boosting thats liqued gold

emerican

Registered VIP
agree with juice, but also factor in the price of the b16 and swapping it in with your final decison.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is nothing wrong with boosting a B16 on stock internals. If money isn't a factor B16 is a much better motor.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
think about it. Vtec-e. The e is for economy. Super lame in the performance aspect. B16 all the way.

Zedicous

Because of Weight and other Factors what motor do you think would perform better in a 92 Eg Hatch?
As per your question, B16 all day long. I guess it also matters if you go USDM or JDM. JDM you'll get a low milage engine, unless you buy it new USDM will have a ton of miles. It's also a little more than 30hp difference. The USDM B16 had 160hp, USDM D16 had 125hp which jumped to 127 or 128 hp 96-00.
JDM D15 vtec had 130hp and the JDm B16 had 170hp. I love my JDM B16.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b16 /thread...

there are too many advantages to getting a b-series over a D-e

fronx

Well I already have the JDM d15b SOHC vtec-e int he car. I just dont know if i want to boost it or drop a b16 in. It honestly feels faster then my stock b18. My car has 4-1 header, intake, a non fart can muffler, sway bars, adjustable springs, lower and uper front poly control arms and rear lower poly control arms, yahanika motor mounts And i have been considering a edelbrock manifold. Does anyone else here have the d15b? you ever put it up against a B16? I hear lots of good and bad about BOTH motors lol I also have a zc tranny in my car. i dont want to switch to a b16 if its going to slow me down or be like the same

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a jdm d15b in one of my hatches, and that car ran like a raped ape...

fronx

Yeah mine did too. But then i found out they gave me the wrong ecu. I put the corrrevt one in and did the fuel pressure regulator. It runs awesome now. Out of all the SOHC motors I have had and my f22b2 It is by far the best one yet. I really wish i had a bigger wallet

fronx

f**k it ill just get a 2nd 92-95 civic and drop a dohc and rep both. I need a winter car anyway