1.5L bending the laws of physics

alaska99712

1995 Civic 1.5L SOHC running on 3 cyl

First Honda I have ever owned. I am very impressed at how it is so durable. I aquired the car with my wife 2 years ago, It was running on 3 cyl for longer than that. I pulled the plugs and did not need to do a compression check to see that #1 cyl was dead. Whether piston rings or valves i am not sure, but it burns 1/2 court of oil every tank (12 gal) of gas. Long story short, has been a daily driver for the past 2 years with no problems (3 out of 4 aint bad right?!) . Plugs are roughly 1 year old, ngk.

Starting missing slightly (on the 3 good cyl) 2 weeks prior, then just recently it stalled out and died. No check engine light. Would not start back. Next day pulled the plugs, did not look bad, gap was a little much, around .047 in. Reinstalled plugs, engine finaly started, lots of brown/black smoke (and the oil smoke as well). It will idle rough, and as soon as you hit the throttle it will bog down and choke out. I can increase rpm slowly and get to a higher rpm but near redline it blows lots of BROWN smoke. I have checked MAP sensor with multimeter. tested good with decrease in V with vacuum applied.

Unplugged 4 wire O2 sensor and nothing changes except check engine light comes on. Could the tip have build up on it to where it cannot read correctly, but still send signal Voltage? Runs the same without air filter, vacuum hoses appear to be in good condition (visibly from top side of engine), changed fuel filter, injectors clicking nicely

I know this sounds very much like a compression issue, but for it to have that amount of change in stable to stalling in that short of time seems suspicious.

Im thinking its running rich and flooding? Im not sure, can smell some fuel in exhaust but its hard to tell with oil fumes. Im interested in the brown smoke, I have never seen that before. Combination of black smoke from unburnt fuel and blue smoke from the oil?

If i pour seafoam into the gas tank (1/2 full / 6 gal) will it mix and blend? Ive heard about puting it into vacuum system for decarbonization, but am worried the carbon build up is whats holding the engine together.
Any ideas on diagnosis?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Not sure about your issue but I just had to point out that I love the title of this lol

alaska99712

I think the engine is a goner. Dry compression check cyl 1 = 0 PSI (as expected), 2 = 157 psi, 3 = 159 psi, 4 = 140 psi.

Didnt bother doing wet test, it's done. cyl 4 has been pulling double duty for too long. Front axles clicking, shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd, body damage and rust, tire rubs inner fender when you hit a bump, no ac, all 3 motor mounts busted, cracked windshield, aftermarket cd/fm radio busted, passenger window crank broke i.e. window stays up (in FL), and it's Canadian. My wife has given her hell but she managed to survive this long, it's time to put her down.

What would happen if you lost only one cylinder from each cycle, i.e. 1 and 3?

Last edited: