1.5lsi V-TEC

civichatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does anyone here know what top speed my 1.5lsi should be able to get to?? Also I have been told that on a VTEC-E you should feel a kick at 3.8K rpm? Is this right because I don't feel it.

kellog

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you shouldnt/never really wanna feel vtec kick in you want it to be a smooth transition. you have to listen more than feel. goo to a tunnle were u live drive, drop it into lower gear and let the rpms go and listen

civichatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just gone through a long quiet tunnel and nothing changes???
I can get this car to 98mph max??? I know it isn't the most powerful engine, but considering my 1.3 pulled more, ther must be something wrong????

kellog

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what year and modle is your car, cuz only ex,n si have vtec

adams2003

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the model with the D15Z6 I only think this model was available in the EU, i think the closest you guys have is the D16Z6. It's a '97 3dr hatch. It has VTEC-E. I will be swapping in either a B16A or a B18 later next year, but I would like to sort these problems before I put the kit on etc..

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
usdm 92-95 vx's came with the d15z1 engine, which is also a 1.5L vtec-e.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i found the following info in another forum, while doing a search:

This enginerange=>D15Z6, D15Z8 is known as the economic vtec's

they are 1.5l 16v with vtec.
they have 84kw or 114/115Bhp.

They could be nearly the same as the USDM D15Z (I don't know this for sure as i'm from belgium and i don't have the technical details from the D15Z engine.)

how they work.

the engine only uses 12valves when you are easy on the gas and stay beneath the 2500 rpm zone.
In 2nd,3rd, and 4th gear taht is.
In fifth gear they stay in te 12v mode(=econo=green light in console) until you reach the 120km/h mark.

also the Vtec kicks in @ 3800rpm and the redline is 7000rpm(could be 7100 also)

as far as I know this engine doesn't seem to be available in the US.
only in the EU regions

I hope that this info could be of some help in finding out which car you have.

If anyone of the americans on the forum here could lay his/her hand on some tech. info about the D15Z engine and you can/will send it to me you would have my everlasting thanks.

Because: the D15Z range of our EU models is NON tunable.
I mean there are no known parts for it.

So i'm trying to find as much info about the D15Z range as I can get.
Because I want (like most of us) more power.
(Engine swapping is NOT an option in belgium)

Love y'all

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
more from the same guy

They've made the D15Z1,D15Z3 (both VTEC-E) and 90Bhp
then they've made the D15Z6,D15Z8 (both VTEC-E) and 114Bhp

all of these are 3stage VTEC's don't be fooled with the E.
The E only stand's for the 12 valve thing I explained earlier.

And be sure that the 3800 VTEC kick in is correct.
That's defenatly right.

Now what you were saying about the 2stage VTEC is in some way correct.
Honda has mede a block with 2 stage vtec also. with 1493 cc.
but that is an engine only produced in 5-door EU models.

You say that yours is an 3 door so it's surely an 1.5 VTEC-E.
with 3 stage VTEC and so on.

You say faster than 10.2!!
Could be in your case
Because I drive an 5-door civic which is heavier than the 3 door brother.

and even A 3 door 1.5 isn't (verry)fast.
Normally the 1.5 vtec's are economic thingy's like the american HF's.

They also reach their top speed in 4th gear.
So the fifth gear is pure economical.
That's the bad thing about these cars.
The gears are so long that the car loses much of it's "spark" when your flooring it.

I'm trying to find out which gearbox could fit under mine so I have a real 5-speed tranny. (now they are 4gear with an 5thfor saving fuel.)

hope this helped some more.

love y'all
PROUD MEMBER OF HONDA CLUB BELGIUM

adams2003

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does any one have any top speeds, or know of a way to increase power... as last night I managed 99 down a hill!!! :( :(

badmanbaz

5+ Year Member
That is a touch too slow i can do 126mph in mine wont go any further ive tried my engine code is d15z3 its a vtec-e jobbie and that was running on optimax petrol which makes it a bit pokier
baz

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have done it, but there is no need to go 99+. If you want to go faster get a new engine.

that_sick_eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have the d15z1 vtec- motor, and i have 92bhp, my car tops out at 103mph in 3rd =)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i have the d15z1 vtec- motor, and i have 92bhp, my car tops out at 103mph in 3rd =)
i once topped out an insight... 105mph.. and it took ages to get up there... i had to find a country road to do it. didn't have enough room on the interstate

jo-jo VTEC King

5+ Year Member
My car is the D15Z6 engine 114-115 bhp as standard as ANFREY said theese do reach thier top speed in
4th gear, ive had mine up to a 126mph in 4th and 5th is just for economy, If you go on youtube and type in civic 1.5i ls one bloke had his car to a 140 mph+

Im sure if you have the proper road and straight each one should do theese sort of speeds

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol @ this thread. top speed of a d15?? :lol:

you wont ever feel vtec kick in a stock D. and whoever said it should be a smooth transition has never ridden with a B series. if you dont think you'll feel a 20hp jump think again... :lol:

dizzlesizzle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plus on the ecomony vtec the vtec lobe is only on the intake side rather then both the exhaust and intake on lets say an EX

civicoulas15

5+ Year Member
hi i am from greece
i have a d15z6 too.1.5Lsi vtec.my car doesnt kick in the vtec mode,and activates in 4170 rpm.this kick appears in electric problems beacause activates by the ecu managment.i have a hand made (by me) exhaust manifold 4-2-1 , semi racing catalysator (Americat) and hand made the rest exhaust parts.I 've changed the plug wires with a 5core set silicon.a very good check of the valves ,new intake filter (bmc).the car is upgraded in the dynometer 129.8 hp (114hp original) 14,2 torque (12,2 original) 198km/h 4thgear tested.if you want to contact with me (ts_apa_doros@hotmail.com) to send you a photo of the test reasults