1)Concealed Weapon Permit 2)Buying a Sidearm?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so my cousin (21) and her boyfriend (23) were mugged at gunpoint about a week ago downtown charleston in not a bad area in daylight. apparently its happening more often than ever. they assaulted her, took some jewelry and her purse, took his wallet sunglasses phone and keys. they are both interested in taking self defense classes and possibly getting a weapon permit. im interested in doing the same since im downtown pretty often as well.

you guys are the pros on gun s**t so help me out. how easy is it to get a CWP? what all do you have to do? what kind of sidearm would you recommend? im mildly experienced with pistols. at an indoor range ive shot a glock 9mm and a S&W .45. i had great precision with the glock, slightly worse with the S&W. ive always liked the style of the beretta 92s. what would you use?

thanks in advance from the 3 of us

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
-Not very hard at all, it varies from state to state but first you must take a class to confirm that you have learned the basics of owning a concealed firearm. Then you must apply for the permit at your local sherrif's office, mine was $50 and $15 for getting printed. Just know that there is a lot of responsibility when/if you decide to carry, and you must pass specific guidelines in order for them to issue you one (no warrants, felonies, misdemeanors in the last four years, etc).

-If you are partial to Glocks (like me) the best for conceal IMO is the sub compact G26 (9mm) or the G27 (.40). I might also look into something like the Walther P99 or the H&K P7M8.

QzFiNeST107

my friend picked up a gun last week
so easy OMG

he got a springfield .45 cost him about $580
he started working for juvenile parole officer so they made him pick up a gun

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What would you do if you pulled a gun and he shot you, or them? I dunno, I think it is smart to get one, but in that kind of situation it is hard to say.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
-If you are partial to Glocks (like me) the best for conceal IMO is the sub compact G26 (9mm) or the G27 (.40). I might also look into something like the Walther P99 or the H&K P7M8.
i carry the glock 26, it's a nice piece but it may be a little thick for some
another option is the slimmer glock 36 in .45 acp

the 92fs is a good gun, but most will agree that it's just too large for a concealed carry.
if you like beretta then you might want to look into something like the tomcat or cheetah or wait a few months till the px4 sub compact hits stores. the cheetah is basically a smaller version of the 92, but i'm looking forward to the px4 sub compact personally

the permit process is very easy, almost scarily...
beyond the protection your are opening yourself up to tremendous responsibilities and liabilities. it's not something to jump into lightly.
and make sure to target practice regularly and take as many classes as possible. a gun is dangerous and almost useless for protection in the hands of the inexperienced. on top of the required class, i've taken 3 tactical classes and i shoot in a weekly indoor league.

and for the love of god... DONT FORGET a good leather holster....
i recommend galco

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i carry the glock 26, it's a nice piece but it may be a little thick for some
another option is the slimmer glock 36 in .45 acp

the 92fs is a good gun, but most will agree that it's just too large for a concealed carry.
if you like beretta then you might want to look into something like the tomcat or cheetah or wait a few months till the px4 sub compact hits stores. the cheetah is basically a smaller version of the 92, but i'm looking forward to the px4 sub compact personally

the permit process is very easy, almost scarily...
beyond the protection your are opening yourself up to tremendous responsibilities and liabilities. it's not something to jump into lightly.
and make sure to target practice regularly and take as many classes as possible. a gun is dangerous and almost useless for protection in the hands of the inexperienced

and for the love of god... DONT FORGET a good leather holster....
i recommend galco
f**k that holmes! Me and the vatos keep it in tucked in the back in our khakis under our shirt!

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
CCW permits vary from state to state. Here in La they are very easy to get. License and class fee, background check and it's yours. I'll be getting mine in a few months, as soon as I can scrape together $200.

For you CC weapon, it depends on a lot of factors-- weather, type of clothing, where you want to carry, holster being used, what caliber you want, etc. To be really comfortable in the Southern summer in any situation, you probably aren't gonna go with anything bigger than a nine, maybe a .40.

I would look at sub-compact offerings from Glock, Springfield, Walther. In winter, I would carry my Springfield .45 XD compact, but in summer it would definitely print, as I wear fitted t-shirts. If your shirts are more baggy, you could probably get away with it. If you want a "pocket gun" I would look at Kel Tec. They have a great little .32 and .38. They aren't the most effective rounds but the gun will actually fit in small pockets. They even come with a pocket clip that is attached to the slide so you can carry w/o a holster (though that can be uncomfortable for some). I have a no shoulder holster policy as I don't want my weapon pointed at a little kid standing behind me. But it's up to you. Just make sure you are comfortable with the weapon that you will be carrying before you start to carry.

EDIT: Like Slick Rick said, Galco makes a nice holster. I really like Comptac's line as well. Their IWB holsters:http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=7cb0b6b22197d359683850462bfdc9fc

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't ask the internet to tell you what gun to get. No offense to anyone here, but none of us can recommend a gun for you with any real accuracy. It's so much about personal feel and preference, and doubly so when you're looking for something to defend your life with and carry on a daily basis. I would highly recommend renting or borrowing different handguns to see what you like if that is an option.

We CAN say, however, that you probably won't enjoy carrying a Beretta 92 or any other full size gun concealed.

Also, pick a caliber you are comfortable with and practice with it often. The classes that they make you take to get your CWP are largely a joke and just because you take one doesn't mean you are a good shot. If you plan on going through with this, you better be sure that you can put rounds on target with whatever you decide to carry.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think the OP might be getting too ahead of themselves, before deciding what firearm to get I would just recommend taking the class first to see if its something you consider doing. After you take the class you will definitely see CCW in a different point of view.

forcdincivic

Needs More Snail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NH is the best. 15 bucks for my permit. and i got it a week later no questions asked, no required classes, just cash and the chief of police' signaure =)

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NH is the best. 15 bucks for my permit. and i got it a week later no questions asked, no required classes, just cash and the chief of police' signaure =)
Takes up to 45 days in OR, and there is no refund if you get denied :thumbdown

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i got mine like ~28 days after being photographed and finger printed.

it kinda looks fake

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a lot of helpful pointers. im going to take my uncles 3 pistols to the range a few times to get a feel for a good size to carry. i am sure that i do want to get the permit, not only for my protection but for the people around me as well. i would like to stick with glock, i hear theyre durable as hell, but i dont want anything smaller than a 9mm. i dont want someone shooting back after ive shot them first, id rather knock them on their ass with the first round. i guess i have some shopping to do

as for permits in SC, i think its like $50 + 90 day wait. the permit itself is just a modified version of your drivers license i believe

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You guys here can all call me faggots but Im going to tell you the safest option. If you get mugged, even if the mugger does not have a gun, just give him, or them, what they want. Its only stuff and it can be replaced. Plus if you shoot someone whos mugging you, youre pretty much f**ked legally unless you get lucky. Also keep in mind that if theres only one mugger, you are more likely to get attacked. Muggers also usually carry more than one weapon.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You guys here can all call me faggots but Im going to tell you the safest option. If you get mugged, even if the mugger does not have a gun, just give him, or them, what they want. Its only stuff and it can be replaced. Plus if you shoot someone whos mugging you, youre pretty much f**ked legally unless you get lucky. Also keep in mind that if theres only one mugger, you are more likely to get attacked. Muggers also usually carry more than one weapon.
No your not. My friend Whitey shot and killed this black dude with a shotgun because he was pretending to have a gun to mug them. My friend got 6 months probation cause the mugger pretended to have a gun and kills him blah blah

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
No your not. My friend Whitey shot and killed this black dude with a shotgun because he was pretending to have a gun to mug them. My friend got 6 months probation cause the mugger pretended to have a gun and kills him blah blah
Lol I know that Im not, I just figured that a lot of people on here would think I was.
Another thing that I think everyone here should use is a little common sense in situations like this. If someone has a gun already pointed at you, and you try and pull a gun on them, what the f**k do you think is going to happen???

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
that is in no way what so ever the safest option.

you are leaving your life, fate, and future up to a complete stranger who's already proven he's violent, doesnt care about consequences, is not mentally sound, and has already chosen to make you his victim.

once you are in that situation, you are WELL WITHIN your legal rights to protect yourself by any means necessary.

thousands of people are saved each year by concealed handgun carriers without ever firing a shot.
the concept that defending yourself from attackers puts you in more harm is nothing but self defeating gibberish

i'm not going to call you names... but i will say that everything you typed was completely and utterly wrong on all levels.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Lol I know that Im not, I just figured that a lot of people on here would think I was.
Another thing that I think everyone here should use is a little common sense in situations like this. If someone has a gun already pointed at you, and you try and pull a gun on them, what the f**k do you think is going to happen???
Ohh. I got yea. I said the same thing in my first post. That is how you find yourself dead trying to do something.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fairly easy to get and I recommend a glock (very reliable)! Familiarize yourself with the laws and take some self defense classes if possible, you may get in a situation where you shoot someone (you think it's justifiable and it really isn't). Don't wanna go to jail over that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjMFyzzUK8 :laugh: