1)Concealed Weapon Permit 2)Buying a Sidearm?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
#5 is the one that people usually falter on.....

you CANNOT initiate any potentially hostile behavior and you CANNOT escalate it in any way even if you were not the one to initiate it.

acting tough or trying to impress your girl/boys can escalate into a deadly matter MUCH quicker and easier when someone is armed.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
sorry, missed that

it is a .22lr

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, it should be obvious that you don't shoot immediately, but the way people in here are crucifying vjf it seems like the general attitude of the CC CWP club is to kill anyone over a matter of $30, a credit card, and a driver's license. I was just pointing out that i most states legally your CCW is to defend your life, not your pocket change.
Some criminals will kill you if they don't get "enough"

Right now I have $7.46 in cash and change, an American Express card, a Visa check card, and a driver's license. Is that enough to keep the mugger from killing me?

Am I supposed to carry more cash to appease a mugger? How much cash?

How is this not endorsing criminal activity?

The mugger will be happy to know that Glasers are about $3.00 apiece. My first and second shot will net him $6.00. third and subsequent shots are cheap +P wadcutters. Maybe I should invest in some talons or hydroshocks.

Being a mugger is a dangerous occupation.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NH is the best. 15 bucks for my permit. and i got it a week later no questions asked, no required classes, just cash and the chief of police' signaure =)
Yep, but it's hard for me to conceal my 357 blackhawk.... s**t is just too big.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
anyone else read the recent article about a young marine on leave was shot execution style by a mugger because he only had $8 on him

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Beach Mugger Killed With Bare Hands
February 24, 2007

Costa Rica

Marianela Jimenez, AP

An American senior citizen killed an alleged mugger with his bare hands, and [then] his traveling companions aboard a tour bus, fended off two other assailants in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, Costa Rica police said.

The American who is about 70 years old and retired from the military, put the 20-year-old [mugger] in a head-lock and broke his clavicle after the suspect and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose. The suspect, Warner Segura, was later declared dead, apparently from asphyxiation.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves during the Wednesday attack. Afterward, the tourists drove Segura to the Red Cross where [the mugger] was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said Thursday.

Hernandez said Segura had previous charges against him for assaults.

“The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman’s two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation.”

Neither the Costa Rican police nor the Carnival Liberty cruise ship identified the [American senior] involved in the struggle with the mugger.
http://elliotlakenews.wordpress.com/2007/02/24/beach-mugger-killed-with-bare-hands/

:clap:

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Right now I have $7.46 in cash and change, an American Express card, a Visa check card, and a driver's license. Is that enough to keep the mugger from killing me?

The mugger will be happy to know that Glasers are about $3.00 apiece. My first and second shot will net him $6.00. third and subsequent shots are cheap +P wadcutters. Maybe I should invest in some talons or hydroshocks.

People who are really cautious of being mugged usually keep a fake wallet containing only a few dollars, fake credit cards, etc. Its actually a good idea, and I think they actually sell these "fake wallet" kits. Its a bit extreme, but I have heard a few stories where people have been mugged while having these with pretty good outcomes.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyone else read the recent article about a young marine on leave was shot execution style by a mugger because he only had $8 on him
If you have some time take a look at this section of this forum, it has a lot of threads on real life situations and experiences from people who conceal carry. Every now and then there are really good stories with happy endings.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

That doesn't matter. Maybe you can get away with that in Arlington, but in many states they would make a martyr out of you for shooting early. Also, my point extends to personal safety as well. Have someone stand in front of you with a dummy weapon of some kind and ask for your wallet, and then try to draw and fire before they can make it to you.

Never once did I say you should keep enough cash to "pay off" a mugger. I said that in many cases it would be a lot safer legally and physically to just give up the damn wallet. I'm sorry if your ego is bruised, but better that than a hole in you because you thought you were Quickdraw McGraw. I don't want some punk stealing my money either, but I would rather spend a few hours talking to the DMV and my bank to get new cards than spend days or months trying to convince a jury that I shouldn't be locked up all because I didn't want to lose a few ones.

That link that turbo95eg6 posted is a good one, and I think a lot of folks around here aren't paying much attention to numbers 3 and 5 in particular. Don't make the mistake of treating every problem like a nail just because you have a hammer.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6....

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Better to lose a few bucks than be tried by 12... I never said don't carry a gun, I was saying that a lot of people in this thread seem a bit trigger happy.
you can keep trusting the violent crazies with your life and hoping they're satisfied with only "a few bucks"

i'll keep defending myself :mrgreen:

but to say that the irrational, crazy, and violent mugger will be happy with what you have in your wallet is a false statement that is proven wrong time and time again.
by not defending yourself you are risking MUCH more than a few bucks, you are handing them your life on a silver platter and giving an irrational, violent, and crazy person the option of what to do with your life

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can keep trusting the violent crazies with your life and hoping they're satisfied with only "a few bucks"

i'll keep defending myself :mrgreen:

but to say that the irrational, crazy, and violent mugger will be happy with what you have in your wallet is a false statement that is proven wrong time and time again.
by not defending yourself you are risking MUCH more than a few bucks, you are handing them your life on a silver platter and giving an irrational, violent, and crazy person the option of what to do with your life
This is like talking to a brick wall. Re-read what I wrote. I was saying to give up the wallet first, and THEN defend yourself if necessary, not shoot as soon as someone asks for your wallet. That way if they just want the wallet with little fuss you avoid even having to deal with courts. Call the cops and let them do their job. If they want to be difficult by all means put them on their back. You are not giving them the option of what to do with your life, because unless you conceal your handgun in your wallet you still have it, and can still draw at any time.