130,000 mile boost?

highhopes

i got a d16y8 and was planning on boosting it but the thing is it has 130k miles on it, ive heard people tell me that if i get forged pistons it will be fine (btws im only planning on 8psi) and ive heard other people say there is no possible way it will pope right away, someone with some real knowledge please tell me if im wasting my time or not?:(

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Compression test ur engine, if it's healthy ur good for turbo get ur kit and w/e intervals yu want put it together and et it tuned.. If its not healthy yu will have to solve that first.

highhopes

ho do i pressure test? its just getting the tool/gauge to screw into the spark plug port and crank it over?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pretty much, ya

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
any luck with figuring out what you want to do with your motor? personally i would rebuild any honda motor for boost. I know a total rebuild may not be in your budget and a lot of motors last but, if your save and do it correct rebuild you will have years of fun with your civic. if not, even with proper tuning, i could see a 130,xxx mile engine coming apart inside a month. hell a few hours if you REALLY like to drive. its a crap shoot with a motor that old.

highhopes

im gonna do a pressure test today on it and a full rebuild is no wheres near my budged hahah plus im only gonna push 7-8 psi so i figure its not that much, i would love to get a z6 head brand new and do everything but its really not possible for me :/

1993hatch

5+ Year Member
Any stock honda engine can hold up to 9lbs of boost. Just completely rebuild your motor, have fun with that for a while, then BOOST dat b***h!!! Just know if you get forged pistons the break in period on those are pretty long.

highhopes

just did compression test and came back as 150 across all 4 on my d16y7 i guess thats perfect right?:]