1988 CRX Si Clutch Going Out

ampersands

Hey all,
I just bought this 88 CRX about 2 weeks ago, now before we get started, I'll inform all I'm quite a car newbie, so forgive me for any misconceptions...I asked the guy I bought it from to give me all the details on the car he could give and this is what I got:

LS bottom end, arp rod bolts, shot peened rods, clevite bearings, b16(pr3) pistons, GSR head, full port and polish, toda valavetrain, eagle cam gears, ported gsr intake manifold, jg edlebrock throttle body, gsr cams.

So, I got the steering rack replaced this week and a mechanic told me the release bearing on the clutch is going out - it makes a whinning sound when depressed - and the shifter is getting stiffer and harder to put in 1st and 2nd. Anyway I need to know what kind of replacement part I need. Can I just get a clutch that fits a 88 CRX Si? Or would I need one that fits the new swap motor that's in it?

Here is the clutch I've been looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTR-RACING-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-KIT-8-5LBS-CHROMOLY-FLYWHEEL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aCRXQ7cYearQ3a1988QQhashZitem1e5f286aa1QQitemZ130445503137QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A stock crx si clutch won't fit your setup. They came originally with a d-series engine (single cam). Find out what year and model your engine/trans is from and get a clutch for that.

ampersands

So, I just got back from the tire/brake shop I went to last week because, after getting the steering rack replaced and brakes checked out, the car shakes at 40+ mph. They put it up on the lift and told me that the engine and transmission are mounted too far back, with only about a 1/2" clearance between the transmission and the chassis. So at medium to high speeds the transmission bangs against the body, shaking the whole car...he says it's not safe to drive.

Any thoughts?
Maybe put rubber circle type pieces, wedged up between the two to keep them from knocking..?

Or am I just screwed?

Thanks...

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get better engine/trans mounts for the engine swap that is in your car. Chances are someone cheeped out on parts when they put that engine in and used no name brand parts. Good parts cost more because they usually are better engineered.

ampersands

So the new engine/trans mounts would keep it more stationary, or actually move it to the position it needs to be?

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The new mounts would also move it to where it should be in the car