1989 ef hatch right axle replacement?

KiDxTrUe

5+ Year Member
ok, so im getting a 1989 ef hatch and the problem is that it needs the right axle. i have never changed an axle on a civic b4 so idk how much it will cost for parts and/or labor if needed. Will be worth buying the car? Does any1 know how much it will cost for the axle and if it will be hard to install or should i have a professional do it?

thanks.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Its not to difficult to replace yourself. If you've never done any suspension or other mods it might be a bit difficult at first. You pretty much need to loosen the axle nut behind the center cap with a 32mm stocket. Then loosen the lugs and jack up the front to remove the wheel after supporting the car with a jack stand. Remove the lower control arm castle nut after removing the cotter pin. Using a pickle fork you can split the lower ball joint so the axle can slide out of the lower fork. Using a pry bar pry and pop the axle out of the transmission. Pop in the new axle and put everything back together. I wouldn't let a bad axle stop you from buying the car as long as everything else is good.