1989 Honda Civic hatch Gearbox change

gaza39

5+ Year Member
Hi,
looking for some advise on changing over the gearbox in my 1989 Honda Civic hatch, it has a 1500cc engine D15b4 series .

The gearbox Im taking out of this car is an L3 with 20 splines on the input shaft.
Replacing it with a L3 gearbox from a 1988 model civic with 21 splines on the input shaft.

My question is can I use the flywheel from the 20 spline gearbox coming out of the car when replacing it with the 21 spline 1988 gearbox........... and will this 1988 L3 GEARBOX fit my 1989 Civic.

Hope to get some advise...... as Ive found the 1988 gearbox locally and it was reconditioned with reciepts 4 months ago.

Cheers Gary[/SIZE]

Blasian

5+ Year Member
if ur goin to use the 88 u have replace the clutch also since it has different splines

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can I use a 1989 flywheel with a 1988 clutch kit?

Cheers Gary
correct me if I'm wrong someone but I don't think you can use the flywheel. imo, what you're doing is considered downgrading.

gaza39

5+ Year Member
Not really downgrading the 1988 model gearbox is an L3 and so is the 1989 model. Same gearbox, just different number of splines on the inputs shafts
Clutch plate width is the same for both models.My question though is would the flywheels be the same?Havent attempted the swap over yet, gearbox is still in the car. Just need to know if its possible to covert like this?
Surely they would be, as the are from the d15 engine series.
Cheers Gary