1989 honda civic min me cel not going off no start

minime for me

alright everyone heres my story, i have a 1989 hond civic mini me with a phearable computor, i have been driving car for two years no problems, about 3 months ago cel started taking some time to go off. recently it would stay on for 5 mins and then go off and start. Finally it got to where it would not go off. i have thrown parts at fixing this problem, new fuel pump, new relay, new ignition switch, cleaned all grounds,new battery, everytime the car would act the same taking forever for cel to go off and now its back to not going off at all, when car runs it acts normal. HELP!!!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pull the CEL code and see what it says. The CEL is there to let you know there's an issue, and to point you in the correct direction in resolving it; not lead you on a wild goose chase.

minime for me

i really feel dumb now, since i have a obd1 phearable computor and the car was obdo , how do i check the cel codes, there is no diagnostic port

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ah, yours might be a little tricky to locate. You can jump the service connector over by the ECU near the passenger side floor, or under the carpet by the passenger footwell. I THINK it's down there, as it is with OBD1/2 cars. But yours is OBD0, so if not, check for a connector near the driver side shock tower. I believe older Civic / CRX's have the service connector there.

Jump the connector, turn the ignition ON, and the CEL should start flashing. It's giving you a code. Long blink = 10, short blinks = 1.

Since it's an OBD1 ECU, I don't think you'll have the flashing red LED on your ECU, but if you do, you can just turn the ignition to ON and then count the flashes on that, no need to jump any connector at all.

Last edited: