1991 civic dx swap question

jane_honda

its just a small civic.
Im still looking at all the options for my swap and recently someone offered me a fairly cheap b18a1 motor for very cheap. It does have the 5 spd and is in a rear end totalled 1991 acura integra with just about 100,000 miles on it. I know this motor is not typically desired but for the price i feel like i should be considering it. earlier i asked someone about how easy the b16a or a2 was to swap into a 91 and they provided me with this link http://www.crxresource.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=134 it was very useful but i was wondering would a b18a1 have the same installation process as this motor.. What im really asking is could i still use the stock D wiring harness and just throw in the p28 ecu and it work the same way as the b16a swap?

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You would need to get a conversion harness to use a p28 ecu. You could use the stock dx wiring harness but you may need to add a few things such as 2 injector plugs if your car is currently DPFI. More than likely, that motor will install the same as a b16.

jane_honda

its just a small civic.
okay so if i use the stock dx harness will i still be able to fully tune the stock ecu ("will i" i more or less mean will the dyno shop)? Also do you know where i could find the two injector plugs that i would need? How hard would that be to install, i understand the concept of what you are saying but i cant picture how you would do it? you also said "a few things such as..." but you only listed the two injector plugs so like what else would i need? sorry if this seems "noobish" but its questions like this that i don't have anyone to ask, i live in a place where a low 14s maybe high 13s honda is the best, lol.

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The stock harness will work for tuning if you add the 2 injector clips. Look up DPFI to MPFI swap online, there are tons of articles on how to do it. You will need to get a new ecu and get it chipped to be able to tune it. The injector plugs can be found at pretty much any junkyard or through people on the forums. Doing the wiring isn't too bad as long as you have a basic understanding of how to properly solder wires together. It's basically running a few wires from your ecu out to the engine.

jane_honda

its just a small civic.
okay man, thanks alot, yeah last night i was lookind and found the DPFI or MPFI swap guide. so if i have the full b18a1 with EVERYTHING it originally came with, i can use the fuel injection wires and plugs off that and just tie it into the stock DX harness like the guide explains right? Also I'll be getting some bigger injectors so the plugs and all will work fine even if i have some crazy ass injectors right? with this build i want to do all the internals pretty much except the crank, and a b18b head (internals in head as well), do you have any other suggestions? My budget is about $3000 and i should be able to get the shell for like $500 with a d16a6 (its got a terrible oil leak, im guessing head gasket and valve seals), and the motor for $300 (this includes the WHOLE 91 teg it is coming out of, like i said it has terrible rear damage, but also im very good friends with the guy and he is just trying to get space in his junkyard), so i think about $2000 should be enough to get this thing to where im happy. I'd like close to 300hp, do you think this is achievable on this budget and build?

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have the harness from the new motor, you will have all the plugs you need. Unless you convert to non-obd0 injectors you should be fine with any obd0 injectors. Again, if you have the harness for the new engine it will have all the plugs. You will need to change the current injector plugs that are wired on your car as they are made for the dpfi injectors only.

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That guide should work and looks straight forward and simple to me. Just take your time, read over the guide a few times and double and triple check all your work.

1991civicb16

300hp seems really high. Well if you can achieve that in a b18 please post the dyno. I would like to see that for sure.