1991 Honda Civic wont start

lil_wilde

5+ Year Member
Was highway driving the car yesturday and it was shaking a little. At low speeds it was shaking alot. Thankfully got it home but when I went to restart it 10 minutes later it wouldn't start. It is cranking but won't catch.

I can hear the fuel pump do it's job so I checked for spark and got nothing. looked in the distributer and found the small part that sticks from the d. cap into the ignition coil was all gone so I put a new cap on, no change )I recently replace the ignition in the distributer too). Then I put new wires and no change. (well, used parts but different ones). My Dad checked the compression a few weeks ago and they were around 48, 50, 48, 52 or something like that. They were all close in number anyway. I changed out the main relay, but still not starting.

Don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

yellowbone12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when u changed it did you get spark??

lil_wilde

5+ Year Member
when I changed the main relay? I wasn't able to check that at the time. I checked after changing the wires and cap though and no spark.

RonJ

Banned
You lack spark, right?

Is the ECU LED blinking any codes?

Have you resistance tested the coil?

Have you pulled the igniter unit out and had it tested at an auto parts store?

lil_wilde

5+ Year Member
Hi again Ron,
Yes, I lack spark.
No, the ecu is not blinking any codes.
Im going to check for resistance at the ignition coil tomorrow. Ill post on how that goes.

lil_wilde

5+ Year Member
can someone give me the instructions for checking for power at the ignition coil? I looked it up online and it looks like I have to actually open up the brass casing the coil is in.

RonJ

Banned
Set the multimeter to measure DC voltage. With the key in ON(II), touch the red meter probe to the Blk/Yel wire where it is attached to the coil and the black meter probe to a ground like the thermostat housing.

lil_wilde

5+ Year Member
ok, I tested them and got 12 volts, so there is power going to the coil. Whats next?

RonJ

Banned
1) Check resistance of the coil as shown in the diagram.

2) Check whether the timing belt snapped. Remove the oil filler cap and look into the hole with a flashlight while a buddy cranks the engine. Do you see the rocker arms moving?

3) Remove the igniter unit from the distributor and take it to an auto parts store for testing. This is a free service.

RonJ

Banned
code 10 = IAT sensor -- this would not prevent spark. Clear the code to see if it returns.

Refocus on the items in my last post.

lil_wilde

5+ Year Member
ok, so I got it started by replacing the ignitor and ignition coil.

Its still shaking when I drive though, especially when waiting at a light, and it seem to be accelerating as efficiently either.