1993 civic dx bad alternator???

1993civicDX

hello I have a 1993 civic dx and it has been making a lout noise kinda like bearing are out near the belts. Figured it would be comming from my alternator.

the other night I was driving hone and when i was parking my lights started to get very dim then bright and dim again. when i turned the car off i tried to turn it over again and nothing happened. didnt turn over no power or anything. like nothing at all.

tried it a few seconds later and it started right up. also it was cold out so had heater on all the way

thinking its the alternator any help would be great!

EDIT: engine also has a little wierd idle sometimes and the air cleaners very loud lol check it out and its kinda dirty.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Could be either the alternator or the battery itself, I would test both to see which one is faulty before replacing either one.

Air cleaners=air filter? I would replace those if they are "kinda dirty".

RonJ

Banned
Remove the alternator belt and turn the alternator pulley by hand. Is it difficult to turn and does it make noise?

RonJ

Banned
^^ agreed, start the car and pull the positive battery terminal off and see if it stays running.
TJ - This test should be avoided because the battery buffers the electrical system from potentially damaging voltage spikes.

1993civicDX

will check the battery

yeah hearing the noise from the alternator pully

EDIT: battery was a little corroded only on the positive terminal. also checked the power at the battery while it was running, stayed at 14.5 with nothing on, and around 14.0 with ac and everything on. thinking it would be lower if alternator was bad. But the bearing sound has me second guessing my self.

Some more info:
I was a little low on oil.
battery was replaced a few months ago and has not died since.
only happened once when I tried to start my car and nothing happened then second try it turned over. first time it didnt try and turn over or anything.

Going to take the belt off and spin the pully.

RonJ

Banned
As you said, your alternator is charging just fine. But this does not rule out a bad bearing in the alternator, if you are still hearing the noise.

Also check whether any of the drive belts are loose. A bad A/C idler pulley is something else to consider.

1993civicDX

As you said, your alternator is charging just fine. But this does not rule out a bad bearing in the alternator, if you are still hearing the noise.

Also check whether any of the drive belts are loose. A bad A/C idler pulley is something else to consider.
Yeah That's what im thinking. sounds like its a pully or the timing belt. going to check tb before work tomorrow. and while im at it, going to pull all the belts off and check pullys just to make sure what it is rather then just buying an alternator thinking its the one with the messed up pully =)

Also checked the battery with the car not running and its around 12.8 so I know it's not the battery. And alternator's charging fine. So pully it is! (hopefully) lol

1993civicDX

been buisy working but took alternator belt off and pully spins fine by hand.

Yesterday I drove around 15 miles to a gas station near my work and tried to start my car. It turned over then died. Had a loose negative battery cable, the positive one is fine though.

Got some new connectors I found in the shop for the ends of the cables. Would a loose negative cause the engine to die? I'm thinking the problem and the sound are 2 different problems. Going to take belts off when I have time and check the ac & power steering pullys.

Also called a parts store around here and they said it might be the starter but seems like the car would just not start. not start then die?

marshall_noob

same thing happened to me but car wont starts, hooked up a jump and almost started im thinking alternator or clog at the fuel sender any idea,