1993 DX 5 speed, need help with AC problem

Tino58

Greetings all, I just purchased this car from a high school body shop. They did the body work and repainted it and it looks pretty good. Runs great! But no AC. I can see that the compressor is missing the belt. It looks like the belt, that is missing, goes around 2 other pulleys as well. Any thoughts on why the belt would be removed? Maybe I will get lucky and put the belt on and all will be good? Not likely I fear. Anyone have any advice of what steps I should take to figure out the AC problem? I just put new tires on the car and have other little cosmetic issues and mech. fixes that I can do that will keep me busy for a while. I am probably not going to put any more money into this car this year and will sweat it out this summer. But hopefully between this summer and next I will be able to get the AC working so I can give the car to my daughter for her first car. In addition, can anyone tell me how I can tell if the car has been converted to 134A or not? Thanks for reading and any help you can give.

Tino

zboyracer

5+ Year Member
First place to start would be to get the belt installed. I'm not exactly sure on your car but I just put a belt on my 98 civic, and for that I had to drop the lower engine mount to be able to put the belt on. If you know what you are doing it shouldn't be too bad. It was my first time doing it so it took me a bit of time to figure everything out.

install the belt, see if that fixes it. If not the system is probably not charged and than you would need to look into charging. Not too sure if you need to do anything to convert to R134a.

Good luck with the project! Things are so much better and enjoyable in my car now that I have ice cold air coming out of my vents.

Tino58

Thanks Zboy,

I spoke to the local Honda Service Center today. I told the guy I was fixing the car up to give to my daughter for her first car. My daughter does not have her license yet, so I got at least a year to get it right. Being a father of 4 daughters he was very helpful. He said I should check the compressor first, see if it turns. He also said total for the belt would be $79.00 installed and $200.00 to switch it over from R12 to 134A. I bet my shade tree mechanic can do it much cheaper. I am not very good with engine mechanics. I can take anything apart, it is putting it back together that gets me.

Tino58

Compressor turns and gas is in system. Can't wait to get the belt on.

Tino58

Got the belt on, and found that the pulley had froze up and the belt worn away because of it. That means that possibly that may be the only thing wrong and all it needs is freon. Replaced the pulley, compressor comes on, but not blowing very cold. Now the question is do I find R12 to put in or convert it to 134A. I am reaching my limit on how much more to put into this car and looking for the cheapest way to get the AC cold. Anyone have any suggestions? Comments are appreciated. This website has been a lot of help and it even saved me $30.00 on a new battery with a coupon I found here for Advance Auto online.

Since starting this thread I learned that my car is an EX not a DX

Tino58

Chilling in Civic style!

Paid $100.00 to get ac system switched over from R12 to 134A, checked for any major leaks, evacuated and recharged with 134A freon. Just in time for this summer weather, I got cold air coming from my vents!