1995 d15b7 automatic trans unorthodox build/ WIP

anomoly23

So I finally decided to get up on the site and start contributing, I have been a long time reader of the forums but never joined, I guess out of laziness. Now im older :cool: and got more time and would like to share my project. I know the first replies I am going to get are B SWAP!!! But Im here to show that there are other routes to go and you don't always have to go straight to B-swap. If you are impatient or your looking for a really easy quick, cheap engine to boost up and go have fun with, B swap will always be your best option. If you are like me and like to do thiings people say you can't, you build a d15 :lol: Oh did I mention its an automatic trans too:P I know I am going to get s*** for it but again like I said I wanted to do something that really hasn't been seen much or at all, I got sick of seeing the same b series setups over and over and over and over. Really I wanted something that would challenge me too.I have built one other d15 and it was a lot of work cross refrencing research and BS just to find parts that will fit. But in my opinion the SOHC have been much overlooked and I hope this build can change that perception even if its a little:roll: Anyways heres the start of the build, I am doing all performance mods first before even touching the exterior. If it looks good and is a turd under the hood its useless in my opinion so I went with Moding the engine, susp, and everything else first. She's rough on the outside right now but you will see her transform :headbang:

Car:
1995 Honda Civic Lx Sedan Automatic trans
Engine:
Plans for doing a Mini me to boost compression or turbo build, still undecided. Most likely this is going to be a N/A build possibly Nitrous.
Rebuilt d15b7 w/automatic trans
Accel 275+ Ignition system w/High output coil
High Flow intake/no name filter
350cc RC fuel Injectors
AC High flow Fuel Rail
AEM High Flow Red fuel filter
Walbro 200 lph High flow fuel pump
Skunk2 Alpha throttle body(going on this weekend)
Skunk2 Intake Manifold (going on this weekend)
4-2-1 OBX Ceramic headers (going on this weekend)
P2R Thermal intake Manifold Gasket(going on this weekend)
JMO Perfomance High Stall Torque Converter and Transmission cooler (Being installed and tuned By JMO in the next few weeks)
Blox TPS
New MAP sensor 4 bar
New IACV
New O2 Sensors
Suspension/Brakes:
New Axles
New Wheel bearings and Hubs
Prostop performance pads and rotors
New Master cylinder/booster
Prothane front end bushing set
No Name Upper Strut Bar
Stock Suspension but plan on adding middle of the line Coilovers (Megan Racing, Function Form, skunk2, Maybe buddy club if I can get the extra money)
Body:
No work at all done to the exterior except a wash:P
Interior:
All stock interior accept for sound system. 2000watt pyramid amp, Pyramid head unit, 2x10" Cerwin Vega subs.

This is a WIP much more to come Hope this catches some interest

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool build. ill keep my eye on this one.

anomoly23

Fabrication hell

So the past two days have been spent agonizingly modifying every last piece to get the throttle body, and Intake manifold in. I finally Just now took it on its last test drive. I had a rattling that was so bad the car was un drivable :???:and it came from the back of the manifold hitting up against the brake proportion valve. We had to completely move the valve to get clearance enough so the manifold didn't hit with engine torque. We had to modify the throttle body to be able to run the automatic trans (kick down cable) and the bracket that connected to the throttle body, which was a nightmare :evil: It took a few hours just to get the idle dialed in but we finally did that. I am going to clean it up and I will post some pictures later. She runs great now, no more rattle, nice idle, nice smooth pick up. Now I need to get an exhaust, any suggestions?

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can't wait to see updates...

emerican

Registered VIP
cant wait to see the pics and more updates
and i have the yonaka cat back with megan racing header and megan test pipe and i love my setup

anomoly23

Heres the engine bay still a little dirty but I just started this project so it will come along.:P It was a lot of modification but Im am happy with the end product. This this flies on the freeway, I got a little boost to the bottom end. I had to change out the AC fuel rail due to some fitting issues but I am going to pick up an AEM here soon. I am going to have to add an exhaust to really unlock all the potential of the upgrades, looking into a new one now.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can't wait to see how this build turns out. Transmission info is pretty cool.

anomoly23

NRG Torque Damper

Ordered an NRG Torque Damper today to help deal with the excessive engine movement. Now that the manifold is not bolted down to a mount like the stock manifold was its all over especially when I really put my foot down:P

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ordered an NRG Torque Damper today to help deal with the excessive engine movement. Now that the manifold is not bolted down to a mount like the stock manifold was its all over especially when I really put my foot down:P
sounds like you need new mounts...

anomoly23

motor mounts

Ya I am positive the mounts need to be replaced:cry: But it would be manageable if, like the stock manifold, the skunk manifold connected to a hefty mount on the underside. You lose all that support with the new manifold. I will deffinetly change out the mounts but even with new mounts I want to add this damper because the lack of support like I just explained.:P

anomoly23

JMO torque converter

I got My JMO torque converter and oil cooler yesterday=) I spoke to JMO and I am going to drop my car off their sunday to get the transmission dialed in with the torque converter and have the cooler installed. I should have it back by tuesday of next week. Cant wait to get it back. Ill post some pictures in a bit of the TC and cooler. I am still fine tuning the idle, but I finally got it to a pretty much stock idle, no twitches in the idle which I am happy about with all the mods.:D Next is a new fuel rail most likely AEM or golden eagle. Also going to order an apexi muffler or maybe megan racing. Slowly coming together.:headbang:

anomoly23

Just muffler

I just need a muffler.This car has a full magna flow exhaust system including magnafow hi flow cat converter. And I got the OBX ceramic headers on there as well. Only recently I removed the magnaflow muffler it was blown out and so loud I could barley drive the car without going deaf. I had a megan racing muffler way back in 2004 on another civic and I loved it, perfect tone and good gains. so I am going to just throw one of the megan racing universal mufflers on.

anomoly23

Pics

Here are some pics of the TC and the cooler. Its going in this weekend, I should have it back by next Tuesday. I also ordered a new fuel rail, this time I went with a Golden Eagle, got it in red because I am going to try and go with a red and black theme throughout the whole car.