1995 Honda Civic 1.5L Valve adjustment question

pburchins

5+ Year Member
Hello,

This is my first post here. Great Website....Lots of information! My son and I are tried to adjust the valves on his 1995 Honda Civic with a 1.5 Liter Engine. The valves sound worse after we adjusted them and I wanted to describe what we did and see if someone could review and advise where and if we went wrong.

We unplugged spark plug wires, valve cover, etc off, put the car in neutral, turned the wheels to the left to gain access to turn the engine.

1. removed # 1 spark plug and set to Top Dead Center (we did this by putting in a long screwdriver and turned the engine until the screw drive went up and peaked) (this is where I am nervous we messed up)
2. We used a 10 mm wrench and loosened the adjustment nut and turned the adjusting bolt with a flathead screwdriver while using a feeler gauge. We used a .008 on the intake and .010 on the exhaust. Once we achieved the gap we tightened them down.
3. Once we completed we reinstalled the number 1 plug and removed the # 3 plug and reset the engine to TDC by using the same method describe above. Then we went to # 4 and then to # 2. cylinder. Setting TDC for each cylinder.

Put everything back on and the engine now has a more intense sewing machine sound and is much louder.

Should we have gone TDC for each cylinder each time ?? This is where I am unsure or am I setting TDC incorrectly ?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Patrick

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is how it works for D16 engine:

How to Adjust D16 Valve Clearance
CAUTION:Always rotate engine in direction of normal rotation(counterclockwise as viewed from front of engine). Reverse rotation may cause timing belt to jump time.Rocker Arms are made of aluminum and can be damaged if lock nuts are overtightened so be careful.
Note: Valves should only be adjusted when engine is cold with temp of it less than 100 degrees F.

Step 1...Remove Valve Cover.Remove Upper Timing Belt Cover.Rotate Crankshaft counterclockwise until No. 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke.Up mark on camshaft pulley should be on top,TDC marks should align with cylinder head upper surface or TDC groove should align with pointer on back cover..see pic below

Step 2..Loosen adjusting screw lock nut on cylinder No. 1.Adjust valve clearance to spec on all valves for No. 1 cylinder.Turn Adjustment screw until a feeler guage slides back and forth with a slight drag.Tighten lock nut to spec and recheck valve adjustment..Cylinder No.1 is done

Step 3 Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 180 degrees(camshaft pulley rotates 90 degrees) Up mark on camshaft pulley should be on the exhaust side.Adjust all valves for Cylinder No.3

Step 4 Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 180 degrees(camshaft pulley rotates 90 degrees) Up mark on camshaft pulley should be down(both TDC grooves will be visible again).Adjust all valves for Cylinder No.4

Step 5 Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 180 degrees(camshaft pulley rotates 90 degrees) Up mark on camshaft pulley should be on the intake side.Adjust all valves for Cylinder No.2

Step 6 ..Ensure crankshaft pulley bolt is tightened to spec