1996 civic has a funy jerk

aznfish

5+ Year Member
car jerks when I stop at the stop light. If I turn off the a/c it seems to go away. it doesnt jerk while i accelerate just while at a complete stop. and also noticed that it jerks while in gear like drive or reverse. not much in neutral nor park. any suggestions?? thanks a bunch!

jerzfinest13

5+ Year Member
I'm actually having the same prob but I havent been to a mechanic to check it out

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need to give us some more info.

What kind of jerk is it?
When does this jerk happen? (like as you are stopping or after you have stopped)
Does it do it frequently or randomly?
Does it only do it when the A/C is on?

From the info that you gave it sounds like a transmission problem.

aznfish

5+ Year Member
oh ok... its like 1 or 2 or even 3 jerks at a time....within approx 20 sec intervals....the jerking doesnt stay on like a constant jerk (example) when im driving down the road w/ A/c on then i stop at red light... it jerks once or twice then stop for 20sec or so then jerks again. when light turns green and i let go off the brake (coasting) it jerks once or twice then i accelerate and NO more jerking. i also notice yesterday that it still jerks while A/C is OFF and while in Neutral and Park! ahh maybe its getting worse? please HELP!!!

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It sounds like it is getting worse. I had the same problem with my old cherokee but I cant remember what the problem was. I know mine had to do with the transmission. I would go to the shop and get it checked asap.

Oh yeah by the way.... When you say jerk you mean it is like trying to go while stopped?

aznfish

5+ Year Member
ya i really really try to stay away from mechanic shops...i try to do most of stuff myself...when i say jerk... i really dont know the correct terminology maybe the engine surges.

jerzfinest13

5+ Year Member
Well my car jerks when ever I turn it on and put it into reverse or drive. The a/c is off and idk why it does that. I've heard sometimes it jerks b/c of the a/c but mines always off. But I have yet gone to a mechanic to see what's going on. Nothing has changed or gotten better, it remains the same.