1996 Civic starting & idling issues

johnny l. patterson

Having starting and idling issues. Replaced old battery and alternator with new; intermittently, it doesnt wanna start..sounds as tho battery is dead or when idling it will sound as tho its dying. To me it seems as tho there is somethinging preventing the system from getting the proper amperage and voltage levels regularly. I had a diagnostics check ran on it a cpl days ago and 4 nalfunctions codes returned from that. 3 of which were o2 sensor codes n the fourth was ECM code. N E insight or advice on how i may b able to narrow down or solve this problem wld b very much appreciated.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Was it this issue that prompted you to change both the alternator and the battery?

What exactly were the codes you received?

Have you inspected the engine and battery ground cables to ensure theyre on tight and making sufficient contact to metal surfaces?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tweaked your title to be relevant to your issue. Providing just a year, make & model doesnt let anyone know what your issue may be, which doesnt encourage helpful attention.

johnny l. patterson

Was it this issue that prompted you to change both the alternator and the battery?

Have you inspected the engine and battery ground cables to ensure theyre on tight and making sufficient contact to metal surfaces?

the codes were as follows;P1298-P0141-P0135-And yes they were what prompted the replacements;actually my 3rd battery as well.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
p1298 is the code for E.L.D electrical load detector its in the fuse box that under the hood by the battery. I would start there, where the main problem is affecting

johnny l. patterson

fuses r good and when jumpstarted it starts n runs fine..at times it acts as tho battery is dead to point that i just get a dying or clicking sound .

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
p1298 is a very troublesome code to diagnose. Chances are, your ELD is good. It's detecting a higher than expected input. Check ALL your fuses to ensure they're of correct amperage too (not just blown), and check / clean all grounds. Double check fuse 15 under the dash as well.

EDIT: You're also getting similar CEL codes for both O2 sensors... check the main relay

johnny l. patterson

Problem solved!..Main Fuel Relay;worn and cracked sodder contact points; applied new n fresh sodder..charged battery and solution found. Thx all for your help n insight!..hope my post helps others stay on the road n maintain cost-efficiency as well. .