1996 Civic: swap in Hyundai Genesis motor?

Stephen staly

So I have a 96 Civic Dx gutless f*ckin turd on a log and I also have a 03 elantra with a 2.0 that screams and burns the tires like no other. So yes it's a shame to Honda but is it possible to swap the Hyundai motor into the Civic???? I really think that would be pretty bad ass. Plus I have a whole car to use sitting and rotting away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen staly

I thought it would be a cheap swap seeing as I have a hole parts car. Plus no offense but I smoked a civic b20 in it before I parked it. So I honestly just wanted to make my favorite car have some balls

Stephen staly

The 96 Dx is my dream/ favorite car ever, I just wanna build it without spending a million dollars and how. I have a fast ass car I could pull a motor out of. I also asked if it could be done and if so how?

West Dylan

Respected
well don't come onto a honda fanatic site full of owners(as you clearly see my picture) and fans and talk about throwing hyundai stuff onto your civic its just flat out bad and f*cking cheesy to the max
Personally I think a real 'Honda fanatic' would try new and exciting things with their vehicle, not just talk down and be condescending to others ideas.. He's not disrespecting anything, it's just a car dude, chill.. He likes them, you like them, I like them. Couldn't you have just given some actual advice?

@Stephen staly I don't think the swap would be cheap, probably some fabrication, custom mounts, possibly relocation, and wiring involved. It would probably even be more cost effective to just swap a higher displacement Honda engine into your Civic.

Stephen staly

Personally I think a real 'Honda fanatic' would try new and exciting things with their vehicle, not just talk down and be condescending to others ideas.. He's not disrespecting anything, it's just a car dude, chill.. He likes them, you like them, I like them. Couldn't you have just given some actual advice?

@Stephen staly I don't think the swap would be cheap, probably some fabrication, custom mounts, possibly relocation, and wiring involved. It would probably even be more cost effective to just swap a higher displacement Honda engine into your Civic.
I figured I just can't get my hands on a whole car. I was just wondering if I could swap everything out of that car into my little Civic. Honestly all stock the car flies as soon as it hits 3-4 the tires f**kin rip. No to mention it pulls like crazy from stop to go, would be twisted turboed. And my dad had a 91 prelude with a built b20a1 and it didn't pull as hard so I just wanted to make my fantasy car as fast as it should be.

Stephen staly

Also it's a 5 speed with a stage 2 clutch

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought it would be a cheap swap seeing as I have a hole parts car.
First, disregard the guy giving you grief.
He had trouble adding oil to his car, blindly overfilling it, then asking what's an easy way to drain his over filled motor.

Realistically, this won't be as "cheap" as you think, regardless if you have an whole parts car.
You'll have an inordinate amount of hours in fabrication of mounts and getting it to actually fit, motor and transmission.
Then you'll have tons of time wrapped up in wiring alone to get it to run.
You'll have a ton of time in labor, research, reading and stress, all that you can equate to a dollar amount, which in the long run, wouldn't be worth it.

West Dylan

Respected
@Stephen staly You should talk to a shop that does custom wiring, and fabrication work. They will explain to you the fundamentals of what you're getting into, in the long run I don't think it would be worth it. What with you more than likely being able to turbo a B-series for cheaper, which would pull much harder than an Elantra DOHC 2.0 and have much more aftermarket support.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bottom line, scrap the Hyundai or sell it outright.

Stephen staly

@Stephen staly You should talk to a shop that does custom wiring, and fabrication work. They will explain to you the fundamentals of what you're getting into, in the long run I don't think it would be worth it. What with you more than likely being able to turbo a B-series for cheaper, which would pull much harder than an Elantra DOHC 2.0 and have much more aftermarket support.
But I see you also have a red Civic? What do you have under the hood? But I was also thinking about turboing my d16

West Dylan

Respected
@Stephen staly
The red ones about a week old now, automatic D16y7. Still haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with it, but more than likely it will see a B18b.
I don't know much about the numbers people are putting down with turbo D series, I've seen some in 200's while scrolling the web. It probably takes a lot of work to make anything serious with them though, I'm not huge on forced induction.

Stephen staly

@Stephen staly
The red ones about a week old now, automatic D16y7. Still haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with it, but more than likely it will see a B18b.
I don't know much about the numbers people are putting down with turbo D series, I've seen some in 200's while scrolling the web. It probably takes a lot of work to make anything serious with them though, I'm not huge on forced induction.
Hey I have a red d16y7 with the 5 speed. Two door Dx lol but are the b18bs any good? Dohc? VTEC? Any good power? Never got into the Honda thing this deep. But I originally wanted to do a built bottom end h22 and possible turbo.

@Stephen staly
Also how do you put a 95 or older motor in your car and still pass emissions, they can't be plugged in??? Or do they not have to be checked for it?

SoLo98

It wouldn't be worth putting the Hyundai motor into the civic, you would have to do a lot of modifications just to get the motor to sit in the engine bay right and then all the wiring, I would just put another Honda motor in it where the most you will need are new motor mounts and a computer to run the motor, even slapping a 3.0 from an accord or odyssey would probably be cheaper then putting the Hyundai motor in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Dylan

Respected
B18b is the lower level engine, I think it's something like 130hp? Wikipedia could probably give you exact #'s.. They get pretty pricey for the higher HP and Vtec models.. I've had 2 Integras and replaced a couple of engines in them. They're very strong motors, can take a lot of abuse, but just like everything, can only handle so much. It was enough for me, personally. Set me back in my seat a little.. lol. You can build them relatively cheap and get decent numbers. I guess it's all about how much you're willing to put into it.

Also how do you put a 95 or older motor in your car and still pass emissions, they can't be plugged in??? Or do they not have to be checked for it?
Where I live, emissions are not a thing, and you can basically modify your car any which way you like and slap anything on it without a worry... I wouldn't be able to help you with that kind of stuff, unfortunately, it's never been a concern of mine. I've seen some weird stuff in my shop pass inspections, haha..

Stephen staly

B18b is the lower level engine, I think it's something like 130hp? Wikipedia could probably give you exact #'s.. They get pretty pricey for the higher HP and Vtec models.. I've had 2 Integras and replaced a couple of engines in them. They're very strong motors, can take a lot of abuse, but just like everything, can only handle so much. It was enough for me, personally. Set me back in my seat a little.. lol. You can build them relatively cheap and get decent numbers. I guess it's all about how much you're willing to put into it.
No s**t. What year integ? I would be interested in that. Plus a turbo lol

Where I live, emissions are not a thing, and you can basically modify your car any which way you like and slap anything on it without a worry... I wouldn't be able to help you with that kind of stuff, unfortunately, it's never been a concern of mine. I've seen some weird stuff in my shop pass inspections, haha..
Well I'm not used to it either I had a 86 Nissan d21 2.4 no cat hi flow exhuast and all that s**t so I'm new to the emissions garbage. Lol

West Dylan

Respected
No s**t. What year integ? I would be interested in that. Plus a turbo lol
Had a 2001 with 94k original on body and drivetrain, that was nice.. as well as a 95' which was nothing but trouble (timing belts breaking, among other things). Just a stroke of bad luck with that one, I guess.

Stephen staly

Had a 2001 with 94k original on body and drivetrain, that was nice.. as well as a 95' which was nothing but trouble (timing belts breaking, among other things). Just a stroke of bad luck with that one, I guess.
Huh. That sucks man, and theres a kid around my town with a sick ass 91 built to crazyness. Lol, Idk tho I think I'm just gonna turbo the elantra and do a wide body kit. Then build my civic later on. Thanks tho man, enjoyed the convo.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Stephen staly , please pay no further attention to the disrespectful fool that's being of no use to this thread. I've cleaned up all the unnecessary comments and tried to edit the remaining comments to stick to the topic at hand, which is a completely allowable topic

@Bradley Robert, you do not speak for this forum or anyone else but yourself. The only thing disrespectful to Civics in this thread were your needlessly insulting and disrespectfully ignorant comments, which have been removed. Whether or not your agree with his idea, find a more mature way to convey your thoughts or keep them to yourself. Be advised this behavior will not continue to be tolerated by the moderators. Change your attitude and behavior to all or find another forum that will tolerate it.

Now, lets all continue to comment with respect and no further distractions.