1996 honda dx backfiring issue

luisp

I have a 96 civic dx. i removed and replaced the engine about two months ago and since then have not been able to get it to run for very long. i will start but will not stay on with out giving it more gas than normal and will backfire a lot. it will not drive it backfires and then shuts off. when i turn the ac on it will backfire like crazy also and then shuts off also. i have done timing from tdc, i have changed out the ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor and plugs and wires. i have also checked all of the vacum lines for leaks and have checked all of the sensors and everything checks good. when i fgot this motor in it was laying down on the pallet it was shipped on and was leaking oil from the throttle body. i need help i am almost ready to junk it but it is my teenage sons car and we have been working it for a while and he is getting anxious to drive it. HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP......

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like possibly your ignition timing is off, is your check engine light on? If so, pull codes.

RonJ

Banned
Double check the mechanical timing. The cam and crank should be perfectly synchronized at TDC1, as shown in the diagram.

luisp

done it

i have checked the mechanical timing and it is set dead centered. i also have pulled codes and got the #4 misfiring. nothing else have checked all wires and put new plugs for possible fouled plugs and still the same

luisp

yes

Do you have spark at cylinder 4? If so, compression test the cylinders.
i have a solid spark in all four plugs and strong compression on all four also with almost no variation in pressure at all.

luisp

anymore suggestions please anyone..... i have literally tried everything i have gone up and down the repair manual and can't put my finger on the problem...HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!