1997 Honda Civic Ex V-tec/ Noise problems when accelerating!!

jpckash

Hey i figured id post on here and see if ne one knows what im talking about or also has a 97 honda civic ex vtec. When i accelerate my car i hear like a whistling noise almost type sound as im accelerating. My civic is automatic. its not that loud of a sound but gets louder the faster i accel. one im in like 3rd i cant really hear it anymore. Almost like a turbo sounding sound but i know its not turbo. If anyone has any idea what im talking about or if you need to ask a question or two to help me find out what this is that would be really helpful.

Also when i turn my air conditioning on, my car acceleration drops alot and if i leave it on for awhile when i turn it off, i get my acceleration back but my cars timing feels like its screwed up like when my tranny switches gears from like 1st into 2nd etc. it feels like its banging into gear like the car jerks or knocks into gear. i know my knock sensor is going off cuz my check engine light is on and says its my knock sensor malfuctioning.

If anyone knows any answers or suggestions to this problem please let me kno. thanks.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my check engine light is on and says its my knock sensor malfuctioning.
This would be a good place to start. Are you just reading the MIL lamp flashes or did you take your car to get the OBD2 code read?

As for the whistling sound, do you have an aftermarket intake/filter installed?

jpckash

Whats an OBD2 code?? and what im talking about is like i had my brother hook up his computer reader thing up to my car and turned the car to on(not started tho) and the only thing that pops up on it is the knock sensor malfuction...and what do you mean about am i reading the MIL lamp flashes?? and no i have a regular intake and filter system. Im actually about to buy this cold air intake for my car. Still contemplating wether to go with the cold air intake or the short ram intake. But yea so what did u mean by all what u said before...Im not that big on cars im just starting to get into workin on them,

jpckash

also what does the knock sensor actually do for the car??? like what is its function and purpose and what is something that i might notice or hear if i have a bad knock sensor that needs to be changed?

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
For simplicity, I'm just giving you the wiki answers copy paste. :p

It allows the engine to run with the ignition timing as far advanced as possible. The computer will continue to advance the timing until the knock sensor detects pinging. At that point the computer retards the ignition timing just enough for the pinging to stop.

A knock sensor assures that you're getting as much power and fuel economy as is possible from your engine.

knock sensor

The knock sensor responds to spark knock caused by Pre-detonation of the Air/Fuel mixture. As the flame front moves out from the spark plug ignition point, pressure waves in the chamber crash into the piston or cylinder walls resulting in a sound known as a knock or ping. This is caused by using a fuel with a low octane rating, overheating, or over advanced timing. Sometimes it can be caused by hot carbon deposits on the piston or cylinder head that raise compression. A knock sensor is comprised of Piezoelectric materials; Crystals that when impacted, generate a voltage (same idea as a BBQ ignitor). This voltage is monitored by the computer, and when an irregularity is detected, the computer corrects timing in VVT (variable valve timing) engines, or triggers a DTC Diagnostic Trouble Code) in older vehicles.

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you need to start hanging out with mechanics, mechanical aptitude IS NOT A skill you just learn. You need to get a manual and start doing some research instaed of posting on here and looking for someone to spoon feed you.

The whistling is more than likely a vacumn line with a hole in it, but i cant pinpoint which one you need to look at without seeing the car. (check the intake manifold) as for the knock sensor, replace the f**ker, unless you want your motor to f**k up on you down the road.

as for the cold air and short ram debate, got much water where you live, cause we all know no n00b ever buys a bypass filter for a cold air so you will end up sucking water into your motor if you hit puddles. DO SOME RESEARCH AWAY FROM POSTING A QUESTION ON CC

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would suggest try fixing the cel code doing what you can replace what needs to be replaced and if problem persists i would then post on here not "this is the problem i do have a cel code but could that be it" kind of thing.

jpckash

first off and this goes to jerk334, others were helpin me out just fine before u had to put in ur stupid input, so if u dont have ne advice than to talk s**t like u kno everything than find another hobby than findin posts and talkin s**t...just like everyone else out there at one point in time u didnt kno wtf u were doin or talkin about either...everyone has to learn at some point which is what im doing now...22 yrs old finding a new hobby...and just to let u kno my brother is a mechanic who runs his own shop but hes hard to get in touch with sometimes and it was a question at the top of my head so i figured id post it on here...so thanks to everyone for your useful input and f**k off to jerk334 thanks

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't realize you were new to this; I wasn't trying to be confusing.

First off, don't install an aftermarket intake until you get the knock sensor issue fixed. Research this carefully; this topic has been discussed to death in just about every car forum you can find. It's an excellent beginner project, by the way. But let's take care of the knock sensor first.

MIL stands for Malfunction Indicator Lamp, sometimes known as a Check Engine Light (CEL). It's the orange engine light that comes on in your gauge cluster that lets you know something is malfunctioning.

OBD2 stands for On Board Diagnostic, and the number 2 refers to the generation. I'll let you do the research on this, but basically it's an emissions-monitoring quality control standard.

Since your brother's OBD2 code reader identified a problem with the knock sensor, you now have several options:

• take the car to a shop and pay whatever a mechanic says it will cost to diagnose and fix the problem (the most boring and expensive)
  • take the car to a friend who knows something and ask them to diagnose and fix the problem (slightly less boring and expensive, but you don't learn anything)
  • obtain a few inexpensive tools and fix the problem yourself (the best option, if you're asking here)
If you decide to take the last option, you'll need to locate the knock sensor on your car. A cheap auto parts store manual will help you do this. The research is good for you, trust me.

Disconnect the electrical plug, remove the old sensor, replace it, and reconnect the plug. Follow the manual's instructions. Replacement knock sensors can be had at any local auto parts store.

When you're done you need to reset the computer's trouble code. Your brother's diagnostic tool should be able to do this, but if not, simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will do it.

Drive it around for a bit. See if the check engine light comes back on. If it doesn't, than good job, you successfully performed your first repair!

If it shows back up again, that indicates a problem with either the wiring to/from the car's computer, or a problem with the actual computer itself. If that's the case, post your results and we can help you from that point on.

Two more notes: 1) mechanics isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't learn. I didn't start working on cars until I was 22, either. 2) arguing on the internet is like the special olympics. Even if you win you still look retarded.

You'll find lots of useful people who are more or less abrasive about the way they choose to help you with cars, both on the internet and in person. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Oh, and have fun with this. That's why we're all here. =)

jpckash

Yo VSP thanks for your help man, and there was no arguing goin on it was just me making a point that everyone learns at some point just like at one point he didnt know ne thin either ya kno, but thanks for ur help and input and ill let u know what happens once i change this knock sensor

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
first off and this goes to jerk334, others were helpin me out just fine before u had to put in ur stupid input, so if u dont have ne advice than to talk s**t like u kno everything than find another hobby than findin posts and talkin s**t...just like everyone else out there at one point in time u didnt kno wtf u were doin or talkin about either...everyone has to learn at some point which is what im doing now...22 yrs old finding a new hobby...and just to let u kno my brother is a mechanic who runs his own shop but hes hard to get in touch with sometimes and it was a question at the top of my head so i figured id post it on here...so thanks to everyone for your useful input and f**k off to jerk334 thanks
I got your reported post. Honestly, I dont think he said anything really out of line. Jerk334 was simply telling you that there are better ways of learning how to work on your car than people telling you exactly what to do. Being spoon fed information will help you solve your problem now, but not help you troubleshoot your problems later down the road. The way to learn that is to pick up a Haynes manual and do it yourself. You will learn by doing, and it will help you understand how to think about how certain pieces of the puzzle, that is you car, affect other pieces of the puzzle. He also didnt just come in here and say "go search, google is your friend". He actually gave you valuable information and answered your questions.

As for your reply, you could have simply stated that you didnt appreciate how he worded his response. I DO have a problem with how you responded, consider this your warning.