1998 Civic Clutch BYpass

bigmun928

Is there anyway to bypass the clutch that will allow your car to start without depressing the clutch? Not for alarm purposes but my car sometimes requires me to slam down the clutch pedal in order for it to start.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want to bypass it..just get an autostart set up on your car

RonJ

Banned
Start by inspecting the safety starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal. Make sure the switch button freely presses and releases. If not, replace it.

Be aware that bypassing the safety switch is dangerous because, if you forget to place the transmission in neutral when starting the engine, the car could lurch forward or backward and thereby cause damage or injury. However, if you still wish to bypass it, which I strongly do NOT recommend, then short the terminals in the switch connector with a jumper wire.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't have one, just make sure you don't have a car starter (was installed before we did my auto/manual conversion), and accidentally start the car while it's in gear. I did this once and my car started jerking repetitively and took off in reverse without me...

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bypassed the switch, would do it again. i always make sure its not in gear before i start it though :thumbup: