1998 EK9 TYPE R engine for sale in SA, $4000... Whats your thoughts about this buy?

Caleb.N

So im on a forum in SA, My Honda... One of the guys on the forum is selling a complete ek9 set for a fill conversion for R40 000 ($4000) .. (B16b Motor, Gearbox with LSD, Flywheel, Clutch, Branch, Exhaust, ECU, Wiring Harness, Airbox etc) All Items for a complete swap into the car... Im thinking of buying it, what your thoughts about this sale? Thanks =)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So im on a forum in SA, My Honda... One of the guys on the forum is selling a complete ek9 set for a fill conversion for R40 000 ($4000) .. (B16b Motor, Gearbox with LSD, Flywheel, Clutch, Branch, Exhaust, ECU, Wiring Harness, Airbox etc) All Items for a complete swap into the car... Im thinking of buying it, what your thoughts about this sale? Thanks =)
If that motor isn't in pristine condition, I wouldn't bother with it. That's a premium price they are selling it for. I'm not sure how rare they are for you to get your hands on, being in south africa, but still. That's kinda pricey.

Caleb.N

Well all the guys in the forum that know the car keep saying its a great motor and in great condition, I am considering it, just good to get an opinion from here coz the guys here are much more informative than there, price of fuel here is R12,86 per litre :smackself thats like $1,30 or so in the U.S, and it is going up next month by 80cents so they killing us here with price of fuel. Was thinking of a b20 swop but would never manage it as an everyday, thats why im settling for b16a reliable, fun and economical. With the high mileage my d15 has rather not turbo.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If that motor isn't in pristine condition, I wouldn't bother with it. That's a premium price they are selling it for. I'm not sure how rare they are for you to get your hands on, being in south africa, but still. That's kinda pricey.
I get what your saying here man.. my question is what transmission is coming with it? the S80 ?

4k is high, especially in a region where more B16B motors were sold.

In the states it's $2600 for the motor and we barely had 1k of them here originally. When I got mine it was $2300 with a vcg going bad. Got an S80 for another $900.

I'd say shop around

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
$4k for a B series swap? I'd pass that up and not even think twice. That's got to be at the very highest of the high end for pricing.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IMO it's not just a B swap since it's an actual B16B, the most rare performance B series motor. That's why I'd consider the abundance of them there. They are less desirable then they used to be so pricing has come down a bit, if it isn't being bought for 'what it is' so to speak, then it's not worth it. If you just would like a bigger better motor, look elsewhere. The B16B is so close to being just a collectors item than anything.

Caleb.N

IMO it's not just a B swap since it's an actual B16B, the most rare performance B series motor. That's why I'd consider the abundance of them there. They are less desirable then they used to be so pricing has come down a bit, if it isn't being bought for 'what it is' so to speak, then it's not worth it. If you just would like a bigger better motor, look elsewhere. The B16B is so close to being just a collectors item than anything.
You got a good point there.