1999 Civic EX advise

Peter Boyles

I have a 1999 Honda Civic 2d ex with an Engine: 1L NA I4 single overhead cam (SOHC) 16V. I want it, to be a fun and faster daly driver. I'm looking to put a turbo kit on it and upgrade the handling. But my question is, is this car a VTEC? Is this engine capable to be safely turbo? And would it be worth turbo it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I assume you mean that you have the original D16Y8 (EX) engine with an automatic (I4) transmission. If so, then it is absolutely not worth turboing it. Those fuel efficient automatic transmission are not worth, and cannot handle, a turbo set-up. You would know this, and have your other answers, with even mild research using our search function.

As many have asked here before, including recently, an autonatic Civic is designed to be fuel efficient with a decent pep. Enjoy it as it is and maintain it until if/when you decide to swap in a manual transmission. Again, anything you need to know in this regard is well documented repeatedly so become very familiar with our search function.

Teri

Respected
Look on the front of the block and if it has D16y8 on it you have a vtec motor. The vtec solenoid is on the air intake side. It will be on the left back side near the value cover.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Peter Boyles

Look on the front of the block and if it has D16y8 on it you have a vtec motor. The vtec solenoid is on the air intake side. It will be on the left back side near the value cover.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for that info!!

I assume you.mean that you have the original D16Y8 (EX) engine with an automatic (I4) transmission. If so, then it is absolutely not worth turboing it. Those fuel efficient automatic transmission are not worth, and cannot handle, a turbo set-up. You would know this, and have your other answers, with even mild research using our search function.

As many have asked here before, including recently, an autonatic Civic is designed to be fuel efficient with a decent pep. Enjoy it as it is and maintain it until if/when you decide to swap in a manual transmission. Again, anything you need to know in this regard is well documented repeatedly so become very familiar with our search function.
It's a 5 speed manual? And I'm only looking to get 4 pounds of boost right now,

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a 5 speed manual? And I'm only looking to get 4 pounds of boost right now
If it is a manual, then start using our search function because boosting a D16y8 has been covered to death.