1999 Honda Civic DX metallic sound

RonJ

Banned
To rule out all heat shields, you should remove them all (red arrows in diagram above). Also inspect the muffler.

JDQ_121

okay...I got all the shields off,all down the exhaust system,the sound is still there! its puzzling me.

JDQ_121

and I inspected the muffler,its seems to be fine

JDQ_121

front about dead center on the hood,sometimes it seems to come from the driver side section of the hood,near the power steering pump,just in that general area mostly.

RonJ

Banned
You may want to inspect the drive belts and pulleys, as well as the A/C idler pulley. You could even remove the PS, A/C, and alternator belts and then take the car for a short test drive in your neighborhood.

JDQ_121

alright,I'll go check it out,I also wanted to add,I had all the belts,including the timing belt changed last summer,so they are fine.

RonJ

Banned
RonJ,what should I look for on the pulleys that could indicate the rattling problem?
Start by removing all three drive belts and then taking the car on a short test drive to see whether the noise goes away. If so, spin the PS, A/C, and alternator pulleys to listen for noise and watch for wobbling. If not, grab the crank pulley to see whether is loose.

JDQ_121

one more thing RonJ,I just noticed,I can put my car in Neutral,and rev it,and it doesn't make the noise,only when the car is moving.

RonJ

Banned
Is there any vibration associated with the noise? You might want to check whether one or both wheel splash guards is bent and scraping on the brake rotor.

JDQ_121

Ive already had to cut and remove portions of the wheel splash guard,they had came loose and were banging against my tire.Could the sound come from the heat shield around my foward cat converter,the one the comes off directly beneath the header pipes?