1999 sir wont start backfires while cranking

daniel loco

Washed my engine.. then air dried it out with a hose was running then once pushed gas car backfired and shutoff will not start off jumper cables does crank and while cranking car is making a back fire noise I have a hondata in the car

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got the distributor wet. Pull the cap off, dry it out, spray some wd40 in there to repell any remaining moisture, and try to start.

If that isn't it, you have moisture inside a connector that you shouldn't have.

Next time cover the distributor and other electrical components.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Any check engine light?

Sounds like it could be wet spark plugs too. Thoroughly check the plug holes for any water.. if there is any, do *NOT* remove the spark plugs, otherwise the water will get into the cylinders. Dry the holes with paper towels or something, then inspect the spark plugs once you're sure the holes are try. If they're wet, I'd replace them.

Also inspect/check the plug wires for arcing.

Be VERY careful with this because if you get ANY extra water into your cylinders you can easily destroy your engine.

daniel loco

Ended up being wet spark plugs not gunna wash my engine again.. thanks guys hope no further more problems occour

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. I felt the same way after it happened to me. You can wash the bay just keep an eye out for the electrical stuff and if you prep/protect certain things you can get away clean. No pun intended.