2 jobs... which one to keep???

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so yeah. after i left best buy in july 06, i started workin for a private shop (www.dtcdesigns.com), but it was off the books and it wasnt full time, so i had to go elsewhere. in march 07 i started workin for circuit city. its not a bad job at all, but the ppl here are kinda douche bags, and its a 30 min drive from my house. so in xpenses alone, its a little over $80 a week for gas n lunch.

at circuit im gettin paid about $13 an hr (there is a small bonus, but only if the whole store makes budget, and if the install dept makes 150% to budget). and im gettin bout 32 hrs a week.

at dtc, he wants me to go back full time and wants to pay me salary, $400 a week (5 days a week), but again, its off the books, so when tax seasons comes around, i got nothing to claim. this shop is walkin distance from my house, and half the time, he buys the lunch.

so what should i do? its a choice between the corporate company, or the small shop. i know the corporate company can go on for years, and the small shop can have a downfall in no time.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You gotta better deal with Circut only because they are a a leading retail business industry with job security. Gotta think about your family. ;)

I'm driving 26 miles daily for work and enduring 2 hours of traffic, 5 days a week. 5 more months I can transfer to a store closer to my house. Perfect timing none the less because then comes the bigger hours for Christmas season. =)

In the mean time... keep looking for other options closer to where you live.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah, circuit city hands down..
That's usually the way it works though.. If they pay you enough, the people are f**king asses, and if you're getting underpaid, you probably have some of the coolest coworkers on earth. Its hard to have it both ways :(

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's important to choose a job that you are happy with. I found that out recently. I have two jobs. First job, full time and higher pay, but I am not happy. Second job, part time and lower pay, harder work, but people are more friendly and I'm happy. Only if the second job can get me full pay with same pay, I would choose them. But yeah, choose whichever makes you happy, usually it goes a long way.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
... i'm curious why it's under the table at the small shop? :shock:

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Circuit FTW. Salary might try and get trixy and make you work 80 million hours a week for 400 bucks.

"V"

16-0
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd stick to Circuit City for now and keep looking for something better/closer.

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the private shop is under the table because well, i have no clue. its been like that since day one. it started off as part time (like basically, i was the shop b***h) to make some extra cash when i was collecting unemployment. barely left me with anything though cuz it was slow season.

now he's gettin alot of custom work coming through and he needs me to cover the normal stuff (alarm, remote starts, navi, radio, system, etc). so yeah. i figured this...

-ask for $500 a week for 5 day week
-the other 2 days a week i can work them at circuit city, just to keep the job. once they decide to pay me more cuz of the expenses and travel, i'll go back to CC full time.

the smaller shop seems to be the best choice in my mind, but i dont want it to be too good now, and then end up f**kin me up in the long run....

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say go for the private shop. sure u wont get tax returns. but hey, tax returns is basically the money the govt stole out of ur paychecks. and its not about who at the job is happy. its about what makes your wallet happy =)

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Id stay with the shop, 30mins of driving sucks, It seems like its a better enviroment at the detail place and the people care, if they buy you lunch.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boricuacvc said:
the private shop is under the table because well, i have no clue. its been like that since day one. it started off as part time (like basically, i was the shop b***h) to make some extra cash when i was collecting unemployment. barely left me with anything though cuz it was slow season.

now he's gettin alot of custom work coming through and he needs me to cover the normal stuff (alarm, remote starts, navi, radio, system, etc). so yeah. i figured this...

-ask for $500 a week for 5 day week
-the other 2 days a week i can work them at circuit city, just to keep the job. once they decide to pay me more cuz of the expenses and travel, i'll go back to CC full time.

the smaller shop seems to be the best choice in my mind, but i dont want it to be too good now, and then end up f**kin me up in the long run....
sounds like a good idea to me.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wish I had a job.. period.. hah..

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there anyway you could work Circuit City and the other job?? like have the second job be the small company. that way if it does take off and crash, you can just quit circuit and hop on full time. If you could work that out, thats what i woudl do.

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
because of the hrs both places are open, i can't do DTC on the side. he's open 10 to 6 pm. circuit is open 10 to 9 pm. so when im at circuit in the morning, i get home at 6 pm, not anytime to do anything at DTC. and when i do a closing shift at CC, i start at 1 pm, so i cant do anything either. so yeah, im kinda lost. probably staying with CC, its job security, which my family needs.

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didn't read any of the thread so far but f**k it quit both and become a stripper :naughty: i heard there's good money in it :lol:

"V"

16-0
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Vicious said:
i didn't read any of the thread so far but f**k it quit both and become a stripper :naughty: i heard there's good money in it :lol:
:rolf:

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Vicious said:
i WOULD'NT pay to see ME naked... :shock: