2000 civic ex oil leak

Abel Beltran

Hey guys , I have a 2000 civic ex that's been leaking for awhile, I never gave it much attention because it wasn't a lot. And it seemed to be coming from under the distributor so I changed the o ring on there. Then I drained my mtf today, it was extremely low so I put some new mtf in . Then after running the car for ten minutes I notice it's leaking a bit more. The leak from the dizzy has stopped. So is the leak coming from the axles or axle seals?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your guess is as good as mine, get under the car and start looking in order to find the leak.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its not the valve cover gasket thats leaking oil then it may be the vtec solenoid seal.

FYI, tranny fluid doesnt dissipate, so inspect for a gasket leak & make sure you dont fall short on fluid.

Abel Beltran

I don't think it's the vtec solenoid or valve cover gasket. When I was filling it with mtf I had my partner fill it whil I inspected under the car and at about 1.2 quarts the mtf started dripping from behind the fill hole, so it wasn't directly from the fill hole. So I'm pretty sure it's the axle seal drivers side. Anyone know how much that'll cost me at a shop? Jobs a little to tuff for me haha I can barely get my car up because it's too damn low lol

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its not that difficult to pop the axle out..

usually pry bars or even better, a slide hammer will pop it out quickly..

But usually to swap an axle is about 200 parts and labor for both..

But, if you do it yourself, usually axles have a lifetime warranty, so if it f**ks up, bring it in with a receipt and get a freshy

Abel Beltran

So I took it to an auto shop to see where the leak is from, and they said they can't even tell because the car is too wet, my car is usually parked at an uphill stance because that's how the driveway is lol, so the oil leaks down the pipes and exhaust pipes. No luck there, so what do u guys think it is?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I took it to an auto shop to see where the leak is from, and they said they can't even tell because the car is too wet, my car is usually parked at an uphill stance because that's how the driveway is lol, so the oil leaks down the pipes and exhaust pipes. No luck there, so what do u guys think it is?
We cant see it so we dont know. Thoroughly clean and degrease the undercarriage then reinspect for the leak after a long drive. Take a picture of wherever you see a leak the post it for our opinions.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^
Yup, and if you cant find the leak, clean it again, throw baby powder in the suspect area, then after driving around, look again.. youll see it

Abel Beltran

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So my dads convinced it's the axle seal, I'm going towards there too, the car was not leaking as much before we drained and filled the tranny oil, and now that the oil is full in the tranny it makes sense that the car would leak a lot more then before . Opinions anyone? Anyone have a DIY on the driver side axle seal ?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As Mr.Baker eluded, search first because you will not be spoon fed in this forum.