2000 civic si....makes noises

CO-EM1

hey guys i have a 2000 civic si and it has about 127xxx miles on it. i dont know if that will help u guys answer my question but wen i shut off my car and let it sit there for a good amount of time it makes a wierd noises. the closest thing i can relate it to is something similar to a computer shutting down. it makes the noises at different times so i cant give a perfect example. if i can catch it i will try and record it. but if u guys have any suggestions it would be much appreciated. thank you.

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You mean the sound of the metal cooling of and kind of clicking??

CO-EM1

i dont think so i know wat that sounds like its more of a whinny sound. its random so i cant pinpoint wen it will make noise

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
like a fan spinning?

CO-EM1

it sounds like its coming from underneath the car... no not a fan its rly hard to describe never heard it before in my life

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is it a humming noise coming from the rear? my em1 does that too. it's done that for the 6 years ive had it. no idea what it is

CO-EM1

thats exactly wat im hearing i have no idea wat is is it sounds wierd dont it. like somethings wrong?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
theres nothing wrong. my car's been doing it for 6+ years now and ive yet to replace anything mechanical. sometimes it does it when i approach the vehicle like it knows im coming... errie. i tried figuring out what it was when i first got it too. ive given up since then :lol:

Dale_K

This is just a guess, but maybe it's something to do with the fuel tank vent and evaporative control system. Does the fuel cap seem normal? Does it whoosh out a bunch of fumes when you take the cap off? Do you have the check engine light lit?

Sometimes A/C systems will make noises too but you'd probably realize it if that were the problem since it would only happen when you used the A/C.

I have a 2000 SI and mine doesn't make any wierd sounds sitting still.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you mean that little buzzy kinda quiet hum sound that tapers off? it lasts like 2 or 3 seconds.. like "EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee" i pinpointed it to the shocks i believe. as the fluid cools down they contract a little bit and i believe you are hearing fluid squeeze through the valves. that's my theory

Last edited:

CO-EM1

u know im goin to go with bully on this one. its not the ac cus i dont have it hahaha but billys theory sounds right and if u can "hear" words like EEEEEEEeeeeeeeee thats wat it sounds like so its nothing bad right? i just would like to sleep well at night u know?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i don't have a/c in mine anymore either. the reason it's hard to pinpoint the strange noises is because it's never coming from the same shock absorber. sometimes it will come from the rear, or the front, or the left, or the right. mine will sometimes do it even hours after my car has been parked :shock:

no it's nothing bad. definitely shouldnt keep you up at night

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For bigger cars I know the noise is the suspension making itself somewhat balance especially when on a hill but idk if small cars have that.

CO-EM1

ok i just wanted to make sure bc today a coworker of mine said my driverside rear tire looks way slanted so i told him its just the camber but thats the shock im afraid is making the noise

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My 2000 civic ex also does this. It sounds like a buzzing noise.. mine does it every 45 seconds for an hour after I shut it off. My noise comes from the passanger door area, it almost sounds like it's a tracking device :lol:

Idk man, it annoys me also, but I just say "f**k it" and leave it alone.