2001 5-speed trans swap. can i ?

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why would you want to? I cant see this being any type of an upgrade. Regardless there are two transmissions used for both engines the KA5MT and the KL5MT as far as I can tell they are interchangable.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is no point in doing so unless your current trans is shot.... or your looking for lower miles.... but still. unless your current trans is shot theres no point in doing this. the gears are exacly the same

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
there is no point in doing so unless your current trans is shot.... or your looking for lower miles.... but still. unless your current trans is shot theres no point in doing this. the gears are exacly the same
are you absolutely sure?

last time i checked, the ex manual 1st gear is shorter than the lx/dx 1st gear.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not short enough to notice a differnece

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very expensive! Very hard! Do not try this at home!
what?

expensive? how? you can get a trans for like 300 bux. swap it in a day. a few hand tools and an impact gun and your good.

and please resize your signature to 500x100

it is WAY to large. this is your first warning.

j.steimer04

4Dr Pimpin
5+ Year Member
what?

expensive? how? you can get a trans for like 300 bux. swap it in a day. a few hand tools and an impact gun and your good.

and please resize your signature to 500x100

it is WAY to large. this is your first warning.
How about all the work with the clutch assembly? That cant come cheap, and it sure would be hard to do.

sr6000

still a D
It isn't hard to do at all. You just need a little mechanical know-how. That's all. Clutches are easy to work on. It's the clutch packs inside an Automatic that will through you for a loop

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
two people with decent variety of tools and a good shop jack, with the whole day to work on it should be good enough.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How about all the work with the clutch assembly? That cant come cheap, and it sure would be hard to do.
cheap? you reuse the clutch you have. all your doing is swapping transmissions. you dont even need to touch the clutch assembly.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
might as well swap the clutch and flywheel for something nicer since the tranny is out

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is the OP swapping from auto to manual? That's the question!

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if you buy my tranny it comes with aperfectly good clutch and flywheel
just need a throw out bearing