2001 Civic EX Will not start but turns over

kifor.dmitriy

Respected
So my younger brother was driven my car. He was leaving the house and noticed that the car was short on power. Yet that didn't stop him from thinking something is wrong and that he shouldn't be driven. While driven the car shut off on him. So he pop the clutch and it turn back on. He got to his destination about 20 mins away from home parked the car. He had to move the car because he parked someone in. Turn it on and moved the car. Came back 30-45 mins later and the car will not turn on.

Engine turns over but doesn't not start. It sounds like it is about to turn on but then nothing happens.
I changed fuel pump but nothing changed. I checked all the fuses but they are all good. Didn't check about relays. I will check if there is spark going to the spark plugs tonight. If anyone had same issue let me know.

I just find it weird that it died while driven. And that it had half its power.

Let me know.
Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
So I pulled out one of the fuel line on the block and primed the pump and fuel comes out.
So Pump is good.

I test to see if sparks are good. One has a yellow spark so thats weak but i doubt that would affect the engine not turning on.

I tested the Battery and battery is good.

Next i will check for compression. Will let you know thanks.

Last edited:

daperez13

Respected
Maybe I missed something in your story but why did you automatically assume it was the fuel pump and replaced it? Between a compression test and replacing the fuel pump, a compression test should have been your 1st choice. Always, always, start with the simplest and cheapest things first when it comes to troubleshooting. Not saying replacing a fuel pump is hard, especially on a Honda but you get the idea, I hope.

Anyway...yes, you should definitely perform a compression test but lets start from the beginning. Did the car throw a CEL or did it a have CEL prior to your brother driving it? If the car is turning over, then your starter and battery are probably ok. Take a voltmeter to the battery just to confirm it's at the proper voltage. How many miles are on the car and when was the last time you had a complete tune up? Since you pulled the spark plugs to check for spark, what was the overall condition of them? Did they indicate the car is burning fuel normally, too rich or too lean? Was there any oil or excessive carbon on them? What about your spark plug wires, do they show sings of corrosion or do they seem frail? Check your cap and rotor as well as the coil.

Has the car had any previous issues related to this "loss of power"? Have you maintained the vehicle properly and kept the oil to it's recommended level? Have you ran out of fuel more than a few times in the past? Has the car overheated?

Last edited:

kifor.dmitriy

Respected
Maybe I missed something in your story but why did you automatically assume it was the fuel pump and replaced it? Between a compression test and replacing the fuel pump, a compression test should have been your 1st choice. Always, always, start with the simplest and cheapest things first when it comes to troubleshooting. Not saying replacing a fuel pump is hard, especially on a Honda but you get the idea, I hope.

Anyway...yes, you should definitely perform a compression test but lets start from the beginning. Did the car throw a CEL or did it a have CEL prior to your brother driving it? If the car is turning over, then your starter and battery are probably ok. Take a voltmeter to the battery just to confirm it's at the proper voltage. How many miles are on the car and when was the last time you had a complete tune up? Since you pulled the spark plugs to check for spark, what was the overall condition of them? Did they indicate the car is burning fuel normally, too rich or too lean? Was there any oil or excessive carbon on them? What about your spark plug wires, do they show sings of corrosion or do they seem frail? Check your cap and rotor as well as the coil.

Has the car had any previous issues related to this "loss of power"? Have you maintained the vehicle properly and kept the oil to it's recommended level? Have you ran out of fuel more than a few times in the past? Has the car overheated?
Car has never had an issue with lose of power.
Change the oil Frequently.
No i fill up the car up before it runs out of fuel.
Never has the care over heated.

I haven't had time to look at the car lately because of work but i was able to borrow a trailer from a friend and tow it to my yard.
Before i pulled it off the truck the car started. The only new thing that changed was that my brother took off on off the exhaust manifold bolts off.
They car idles fine for the first 10 mins then it starts to drop RPMS. you give it a little gas and it doesn't stall out. but if you release the gas the RPMS do keep dropping.