2001 Civic LX overheating

BCormier

I recently bought my daughter a 01 Civic LX. The previous owner told me the car was overheating and the water pump needed to be changed. Changed water pump, timing belt, and thermostat, and seem to fix the issue. A few days after she started driving it, it overheated. The expansion tank overflowed and covered the engine with coolant. Let it cool down, checked coolant, and drove the car home. I drove the car the next day to work with no issues. She drove the car to school yesterday, and it overheated again. So I drove the car last night to test it, it overheated with me, but did something that has me confused. While driving 35-40 mph down the road, the engine jerked (kind of like a misfire) then started running rough. At that point, the temp gauge started skyrocketing. When it started running rough, I put it in neutral to see if it would idle up. At full throttle, it would max out at 3000 rpms. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

daperez13

Respected
Thermostat or water pump may not be operating as they should. Verify all your hose connections and check the radiator for possible blockage. Check your oil for signs of coolant, you may have blown the head gasket. You can perform a compression test to verify this.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did the check engine light come on at all? It sounds like there's an issue that's putting your car into limp mode.

If the light didn't come on, do you know if the light even works? I have seen issues before in which they've burnt out, and even with previous owners who have actually removed the CEL bulb entirely.

BCormier

There's no sign of coolant in the oil, and the radiator has been recently flushed. The check engine light is on, I'm going to scan the codes tonight. I'm trying to find where to get the test kit for exhaust gas in the coolant. I seen a video on YouTube on how to test for exhaust gas in the coolant, that should tell me if it's a head gasket issue.

cj898854

My civic had the same issues. I replaced the thermostat multiple times. Then the water pump and timing belt. It just kept over heating I changed the head gasket and that solved the problem. I read on a form that it's rare a civic will mix the coolant and oil in the engine. It's exhaust gases that build up in the crank case causing coolant to come out of the over flow. I'm not sure if it's because it's a 3 layer head gasket or not.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk