2001 Honda Civic EX idle help

deathviaangel

5+ Year Member
I have to reg my car, so I put back in the stock intake box just to make sure it passes. While doing so I disconnected the negative battery cable, and installed it. When I drive the car and come to a stop, it idles at 1.5 and bonces up to 2, rarely will it drop back down, but sometimes it will stay at two and a check engine light comes on. Any ideas on how to fix this so I may pass smog will be great. Thank you in advance.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
take it to the parts store and have them run the scanner when the CEL is on
they will be able to tell you what code its throwin and what for

deathviaangel

5+ Year Member
I went out and bought a code reader. The code read P0505 Idle system problem. I have looked high and low to figure out the problem. I took out my TB and cleaned it, cleaned my ICV, cleaned my stupid stock intake. The only thing I have seen that lowers the idle but not even to what it should be is 1 of two things. covering up the TB, and or disconnecting the MAP. I really have no idea what to do or what the problem is. I don't want to go buy a MAP sensor and then find out it's something else. Please help...

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
Try adjusting the screw just in the tb wing plate. My old 2000 had that same problem and I looked for months and sure enough the last thing that I tried was adjusting that screw. And when I unplugged the MAP sensor it ran just normal again.

CALYGIRL

5+ Year Member
idle issues

Sounds like you need to take it off and reset your computer first. Then put it back on for smog test.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
Why did you put the stock box back on? If throwing a code is what fails you, did it throw a code with whatever you had on before?