2002 Honda civic dx Overheating problem

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Hey guys, I Have an issue with my 2002 Civic DX with the original D17 motor. It has a tendancy to over heat BADDLY if put under any load such as multiple people in the car, or go up a incline. I have replaced the thermostat, and this still is happening!.... so basically I am just asking what other parts can cause this issue? The fans don't want to kick in so I was wondering could the fan switch be the culprit?
I do need the car as a daily driver, so any quick help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to warp my head! :x

Thanks,
Scott:D

RonJ

Banned
You definitely need to fix the fan problem. Is the radiator low on coolant? Have you bled the cooling system?

When the engine overheats, is the lower radiator hose still cool?

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
You definitely need to fix the fan problem. Is the radiator low on coolant? Have you bled the cooling system?

When the engine overheats, is the lower radiator hose still cool?
The fan seems to have a mind of it's own! ( it will cut in when it wants to), The radiator has lots of antifreeze/water mix in it,I have not yet bled the cooling system since I changed the thermostat ( by the way, I could only get a thermostat in the tempeture rating of 195.... it that still ok ?) And for the final question I will check tomorrow! ( Im assuming that if it is still cool it means a clogged radiator?)

I was wishing you would respond! You're a mastermind when it comes to this stuff!

Thanks,
Scott

RonJ

Banned
Start here:

Bleeding the cooling system may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push/turn the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat. Fan need not be on.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

RonJ

Banned
When you turn the A/C on, does the radiator fan run?

If you unplug the 2P connector (Grn and Blk wires) to the fan switch located on the thermostat housing and short the connector with a jumper wire, does the fan run when the key is in ON(II)?

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
When you turn the A/C on, does the radiator fan run?

If you unplug the 2P connector (Grn and Blk wires) to the fan switch located on the thermostat housing and short the connector with a jumper wire, does the fan run when the key is in ON(II)?
Ok, so I checked to see if I could overheat the car again.... no matter how many 2-3 gear pulls I did uphill I couldn't get it to overheat again... even in higher gears with more load on the motor wouldn't heat it up! :x ( it is like 2 degrees celsius here) ,The temp gauge would go higher if I turned the Heat off. Also I checked the temp on the top and bottom hoses, and they are both warm. And to relate to your last post I tried the A/C and neither fan kicked in... Tomorrow morning I will try to jump the fan switch and see If that does the trick.. And I will also bleed the cooling system.

Zedicous

Check all fuses under dash and hood. May need a fan switch and it probably over due for an aluminum rad.
But make sure the fans are good, run 12v to them.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Well I bled the cooling system, It took alot more coolant than I thought it would after it was done!, also I have NO blown fuses either under the hood or in the dash fuse block. But when I jumped the fan switch the fans started no problem!.... Does that mean fan switch?

RonJ

Banned
Take the car out for a spirited drive and then stop, leave the engine idling, and raise the hood to see whether the fan now cycles on. You may need to rev the engine to 3K rpm for a few minutes.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Ok, I just went ripping around and couldn't get the car to over heat again..... I did replace the fan switch and got a new OEM one in.... But the fans still don't want to work!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If the fan's work, and the fan switch was replaced, check the fan relay.

RonJ

Banned
Ok, I just went ripping around and couldn't get the car to over heat again..... I did replace the fan switch and got a new OEM one in.... But the fans still don't want to work!
If the temp on the cluster gauge reads normal, then do nothing. Honda engines tend to run cool. What's the weather like where you live?

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
The tempeture here is currnetly 2 celsius or about 35 fahrenheit! ... when the car over heated it was about 10 celsius or about 50 fahrenheit!

RonJ

Banned
The tempeture here is currnetly 2 celsius or about 35 fahrenheit! ... when the car over heated it was about 10 celsius or about 50 fahrenheit!
Given that Honda engines generally run cool, the fan may not turn on in cold weather. Just keep a vigilant eye on the temp gauge for any signs of overheating. Post a picture of the gauge reading with the engine fully warmed up.