2003 civic overheating

mvevans1

Hello,

I have a 2003 Civic Ex Coupe with an automatic transmission. A couple months ago the heater core went out, leaking antifreeze into the passenger foot area, but being a student affording a mechanic wasn't an option, so for the time being I cut the hoses going to and from the heater core and coupled them together (I'm not sure if this has any impact on the current issue or not). After doing so I filled up both the radiator and the reservoir.

Current issue
Recently I've noticed that the engine temperature gets pretty warm in slow or stop and go traffic, the longer I'm stopped the higher it got, never getting into the red. However today on my way to work, in terrible stop and go, it made it past the red and began smoking, I pulled over, the smoke (it was probably steam) was coming directly from the radiator cap, there was splashed antifreeze around the cap as if it was boiling out of the cap. However when I went to add water to the reservoir, it was totally full, exactly how it was a few months ago. I waited until the engine was cooler and continued to drive to work, however the engine didn't get cooler as I reached higher speeds like it used to it would just heat up and stay hot. So I pulled over, turned on the car without turning on the engine, cooled it to half way, drove more, and repeated this until I got to work.

Ideas as to what the problem is
Based off of what I've searched it seems some of the possible issues include air in the radiator, bad radiator and/or thermostat, blown head gasket, radiator is out of coolant, or a bad fan, (however I did see that both radiator fans did run while I turned the car on but left the engine off).

Any ideas as to
a) What the problem is
b) How to fix the problem
c) How to get the car home in one piece to fix it without getting a tow

Thanks so much for the help, sorry for the long post

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
To start off, you might want to get the heater core replaced when you can afford to do so, but long as it is bypassed correctly, that actually eliminates one thing it could be! first off, let the car completely warm up, once it gets to normal operating temperature ( this could take 15-20 minutes) wait to see if the fan comes on; if it doesn't the cause might be the fan switch located on the thermostat housing. if you are tight for cash you can just jump the switch and the fans will stay on all the time ( only when the car is on, or ignition is in the ON position) I have pictures I will post at the bottom of this to show you what to do. but I do advise replacement ASAP! Secondly you should check/ change the thermostat, (once again this is a very cheap and easy procedure that should be done on these cars regularly, as they have a bad history for burning through them) . after this is done the cooling system should be bled and topped up! Thirdly ( goes with the thermostat change) BLEED the system, raise the front of your car on ramps or a curb, remove the rad cap, fill until its full if it already isn't, and let the car heat up to operating temp and let sit for 10 or so minutes (keep the CAP OFF AT ALL TIMES DURING THIS!!!!), replace any coolant that is lost and lock the cap down. This should be sufficient to bleed the system. It is also possible that the system needs to be flushed, you may have a bad water pump ECT. But these are the more common issues! Best of luck, Taluzer45

This is the connector for the fan switch; remove it

and just jump the fans ( you will want to tape this over if you plan on using it until you can afford a new one